Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #1 
FishyFishy89

How's Spike finage?

I'm just curious. Not really interested in breeding him. But I'd like to know what adorable imperfections or perfections my Fierce Spike has.

Video/Pictures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajqbRKrOofs

I thought that since finage is based off of genetics that it would be more appropriate to post in the breeding section than betta chat. That and I could get more educated or experienced responses.
TYVM
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #2 
indianabetta

He is absolutely beautiful!! I wonder what a crowntail like that would look like crossed with a double tail, and then crossed back to the mother, that would be some excellent doubletail crowntails! I am not completely sure on the phrasing, but I think its called a double ray crowntail.
indianabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #3 
indianabetta

Double ray crowntails are more sought after then the regular ones
indianabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #4 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianabetta View Post
He is absolutely beautiful!! I wonder what a crowntail like that would look like crossed with a double tail, and then crossed back to the mother, that would be some excellent doubletail crowntails! I am not completely sure on the phrasing, but I think its called a double ray crowntail.
TYVM
I thought he looked like a double ray CT

I have pondered if he has HM genes as well. His anal fin seems to come to a 180. But he has also held it in a weird position whilst fluttering.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

You have a really nice Crowntail! He is like part Butterfly. Only his tail, has the pattern. And his top and bottom fin are different colors!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #6 
bettalover2033

I'd first like to point out that he is a very nice CT as a pet. IMO not a breeder, but it doesn't matter anyway.

From a breeders perspective, The number one thing that bothers me as a flaw is his it seems to be higher than it's supposed to be. Also the rays on the caudal at the bottom of it didn't grow out correctly. The Anal fin extends too long down, but wouldn't be so much of an issue, had the caudal been lower and more symmetrical. Also on the far right of the anal fin, the rays didnt grow out properly there either. As for the Dorsal, IMO it is too far back from the head. He does have a slight spoon head, but it's not a huge factor that would be a problem, but with his dorsal so far back, the spoon head looks worse than it is.

As for his colors, yes, he does have a bit of Butterfly gene.

Overall, he isn't a good candidate to breed, but im sure he makes a heck of a pet! He looks like a spunky CT to me! I love CT's. They were my first favorite tail type until I discovered HMPK's.

Well Good luck with your CT boy.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

That's a pretty good double ray CT - if you draw a line from the front anal and follow the outer rim of his fins to his dorsal, it's almost a half circle. Further he has 50% web reduction - ideal for CT.

Faults:
His fins could be more firm so when he flares, they spread straight (not curve - mainly his dorsal).
His caudal could be more symmetrical (it tilts upwards) and IMO doesn't quite spread 180*
His head is rather dippy

His overall body could be better (just me) - but that is the typical form of CT body
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #8 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
I'd first like to point out that he is a very nice CT as a pet. IMO not a breeder, but it doesn't matter anyway.

From a breeders perspective, The number one thing that bothers me as a flaw is his it seems to be higher than it's supposed to be. Also the rays on the caudal at the bottom of it didn't grow out correctly. The Anal fin extends too long down, but wouldn't be so much of an issue, had the caudal been lower and more symmetrical. Also on the far right of the anal fin, the rays didnt grow out properly there either. As for the Dorsal, IMO it is too far back from the head. He does have a slight spoon head, but it's not a huge factor that would be a problem, but with his dorsal so far back, the spoon head looks worse than it is.

As for his colors, yes, he does have a bit of Butterfly gene.

Overall, he isn't a good candidate to breed, but im sure he makes a heck of a pet! He looks like a spunky CT to me! I love CT's. They were my first favorite tail type until I discovered HMPK's.

Well Good luck with your CT boy.
Which fin were you 1st talking about in the bold?
He is VERY spunky. And he loves attention :) CTs are also my favorite tail type....for now. I'll probly start leaning towards dumbos if I get one. Or a HM. Will depend on what I get next xD
I kept thinking the anal fin was his tail. But looking up betta anatomy I now know which fin is which.
So spoon head, does that mean his head curves upward? I thought all fish were supposed to have curved heads.
I always thought his dorsal seemed a bit small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
That's a pretty good double ray CT - if you draw a line from the front anal and follow the outer rim of his fins to his dorsal, it's almost a half circle. Further he has 50% web reduction - ideal for CT.

Faults:
His fins could be more firm so when he flares, they spread straight (not curve - mainly his dorsal).
His caudal could be more symmetrical (it tilts upwards) and IMO doesn't quite spread 180*
His head is rather dippy

His overall body could be better (just me) - but that is the typical form of CT body

TYVM for the input on his finage, from both of y'all.
I knew he was far from a perfect breeding betta. But his imperfections doesn't make me love him any less. I love him for his spunky personality. I'll still love him when he winds down.
I'd never breed him. I probly won't breed bettas unless I retire with quite a bit of cash to play around with ;)
Old 05-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #9 
bettalover2033

I was talking about the Caudal fin first.

IMO crowntails are less popular than I thought they would be. My aunt thinks they are creepy and spine Chilling because of the long rays.

Spoon head looks like the bettas head would have a divot just before the spine lining. Meaning that it curves downward too far. It depends on the kind of fish. Some fish are just like that while others aren't.

This is a severe spoon head betta:
http://www.google.com/search?q=sever...G-L50gH21biRDA

The one in the top right.

And this is another pretty bad spoon head, but not as bad as the other:
http://nippyfish.net/bettas-201/plakat-betta/

First one

This is how they are supposed to look (without the spoon head):

The red male in the second picture.

Hope I answered all your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Which fin were you 1st talking about in the bold?
He is VERY spunky. And he loves attention :) CTs are also my favorite tail type....for now. I'll probly start leaning towards dumbos if I get one. Or a HM. Will depend on what I get next xD
I kept thinking the anal fin was his tail. But looking up betta anatomy I now know which fin is which.
So spoon head, does that mean his head curves upward? I thought all fish were supposed to have curved heads.
I always thought his dorsal seemed a bit small.

Last edited by bettalover2033; 05-11-2012 at 10:53 AM.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #10 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
i was talking about the caudal fin first.

Imo crowntails are less popular than i thought they would be. My aunt thinks they are creepy and spine chilling because of the long rays.

Spoon head looks like the bettas head would have a divot just before the spine lining. Meaning that it curves downward too far. It depends on the kind of fish. Some fish are just like that while others aren't.

This is a severe spoon head betta:
http://www.google.com/search?q=sever...g-l50gh21birda

the one in the top right.

and this is another pretty bad spoon head, but not as bad as the other:

first one

this is how they are supposed to look (without the spoon head):

the red male in the second picture.

hope i answered all your questions.
tyvm :)