Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2012, 12:55 AM   #11 
LionCalie

For now I will wait to see the results of me leaving the water out in a bucket for 24 hrs. Also, regarding going the natural route and having planted tanks, would low light plants in a low tech tank (heavily planted) have the same stability effect on the KH and pH?

Results so far:

Started at 4 PM, the pH was 8.8

8:30 PM the pH was 8.2

I will test again in a few hours before I go to bed.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:39 AM   #12 
Silverfang

Byron is pretty good when it comes to PH/KH/GH.

Mine in my 10 was seriously whacky. I had a ph of 5.5 at one point.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #13 
Bombalurina

My tank is low-light (1.5wpg), low-tech. It is really densely planted with fast growers, though, so I don't know if that makes a difference.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #14 
Kim

You could probably get a mineral mix meant for RO water. This would add some buffer to your tank hopefully without affecting your pH much. I mean, you basically have a low dissolved solids level, which is essentially what RO water is, just that RO has next to no dissolved solids (more extreme case).
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #15 
LionCalie

Updated results so far:

Started at 4 PM (yesterday), the pH was 8.8

8:30 PM the pH was 8.2

11:00 AM (today) the pH was 7.8
Old 05-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #16 
LionCalie

Got the results for leaving a 10 liter bucket of tap water out for 24 hrs. pH started out at 8.8 and 24 hrs later is at 7.4, hopefully it will hold steady now. If it does, I will invest in some storage containers so the water can sit out. That way I wont have to use chemical buffers to up the KH, since they also mess with the GH and pH.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #17 
thekoimaiden

That sounds like a good idea. Fish from naturally acidic waters like betta and most tetra can easily handle low pH, but like any fish, it's the rapid changes that kill them. I'm glad we found a solution to your problem.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #18 
Sakura8

LionCalie, there should be a product in the Seachem line that raises KH.

Here:

http://www.aquavitro.com/products/carbonate.html

I think if you use this and Mineralize, you can raise both KH/GH without raising the pH. I know my LFS Jo-Jo's Aquarium carries both but I think you could probably get some online too.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #19 
Thunderloon

You can get away with using a small amount of neutral regulator with baking soda. Generally you can trim up the aging water a little bit if you like.

Don't worry in general if your pH is driven better by kH or GH, if you do regular water changes and keep the nitrates low it really won't make much difference to your fish.

My special little "secret" is to get actual fired clay ornamentation for tanks instead of flash ceramics or resin objects. I also use natural clay media beside the ceramic and sintered biological media in my canister filters. The little bio-slugs / nuggets that are in most of the newer Fluval tank kits and in many of the Aquaclear pouches will provide kH to the tank itself.

Evaporation will also intensify kH vs GH. In my experience the best and fastest way to recover kH in a tank is to find someone with a high kH who's willing to scrape their waterline mineral deposits and mail them to you.

That's about all I have to really add to this. Consider natural rock as the superior substrate for a good reason.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote