Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #1 
Keroro

Experts: Please judge my tank! :)

Hi again--I'm spamming all the threads tonight! I would like some constructive criticism for my 2.5 gallon tank with Kero in it. Feel free to ask questions if you need clarification on anything in the tank.

if you look close enough, you can see him on the bottom left peekin at you hehe

Last edited by Keroro; 05-11-2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: LARGE photo warning, I apologize!
Keroro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:27 AM   #2 
lilyth88

I could be wrong... but if that plant on the right is real... I don't think it is an aquatic plant....?

Also, make sure your bamboo has the top poking out of the water.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #3 
Keroro

It was sold as one--though I know that sometimes the sellers aren't always honest! It seems to be doing fine, should I worry if it starts decomposing or getting brown? Also the bamboo is a fake decoration hehe :) thank you!
Old 05-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #4 
thekoimaiden

That plant isn't a true aquatic, but it can survive for some time in the water. Keep a close eye on it. Your tank looks really nice, but I would remove a lot of the gravel. It's taking up space and reducing the water volume. Keep the gravel down to about an inch or less of depth. You only need really deep gravel if the tank is heavily planted with a lot of root-feeders.

You can also raise the water level as it looks like to has a pretty good top. More water is more dilution for fish poop. And if that's a bubble filter in the middle then that's perfect! Bubble filters are the best filters for betta tanks.

Overall, still a great tank!!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #5 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroro View Post
It was sold as one--though I know that sometimes the sellers aren't always honest! It seems to be doing fine, should I worry if it starts decomposing or getting brown? Also the bamboo is a fake decoration hehe :) thank you!
I'd recommend taking it out. Easier to do so now than to wait until it does poorly. You could try a sword. They look similar.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:59 AM   #6 
Keroro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
That plant isn't a true aquatic, but it can survive for some time in the water. Keep a close eye on it. Your tank looks really nice, but I would remove a lot of the gravel. It's taking up space and reducing the water volume. Keep the gravel down to about an inch or less of depth. You only need really deep gravel if the tank is heavily planted with a lot of root-feeders.

You can also raise the water level as it looks like to has a pretty good top. More water is more dilution for fish poop. And if that's a bubble filter in the middle then that's perfect! Bubble filters are the best filters for betta tanks.

Overall, still a great tank!!
Ohhh I see. I will! I think I'll buy the one lilyth suggested and replace it with that. I never thought of that, I'll definitely take out some gravel next time I do a water change. Do you think raising the water will increase the turbulence too much and annoy him since they like still water?? If it won't then I definitely will, anything to give him more room. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyth88 View Post
I'd recommend taking it out. Easier to do so now than to wait until it does poorly. You could try a sword. They look similar.

That's gorgeous! I'll look for that at the store, do you think they'll have it there? Also, thank you!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #7 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroro View Post
Ohhh I see. I will! I think I'll buy the one lilyth suggested and replace it with that. I never thought of that, I'll definitely take out some gravel next time I do a water change. Do you think raising the water will increase the turbulence too much and annoy him since they like still water?? If it won't then I definitely will, anything to give him more room. Thank you!

That's gorgeous! I'll look for that at the store, do you think they'll have it there? Also, thank you!
They should. Ask for a "sword" or "amazon sword." Make sure to check for snails!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:03 AM   #8 
Keroro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyth88 View Post
They should. Ask for a "sword" or "amazon sword." Make sure to check for snails!
Ok I will, thanks so much :)!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #9 
thekoimaiden

If the filter is just a typical bubble filter, it won't bother him at all. I use bubble filters on all of my completely filled betta tanks and have never had a problem. He'll be one happy fish with all of that space
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

Dracenea does fine in water, but you have to somehow allow the leaves and a bit more stem to be above water level....

Not recommended for your tank though.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote