Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #11 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattitude View Post
I use pure rooibos (red) tea. It is naturally caffeine-free. You can get it at most major grocery chains. It's excellent for healing fin damage and the fish seem more "perky".

Soak a tea bag in the tank until the water is a medium-yellow-red colour. Here's a pic of one of my tanks as a guide.

if you're going to put a teabag in the tank make sure you put in in roughly the same amount of water and the same soaking time. it will drop the PH the longer its in there. i went through this with my green DT. i put the IAL in a 1g milk jug and every WC i put in the concertrated IAL water in varying amounts. some times i used 1/4 to 3/4 of the gallon jug. the result was a PH ranging from 7.4 to 6.4 after a WC. his fins couldnt get used to the wild fluctuations.

i settled for 800ml of IAL water for the 3.4 and 2,5g tanks each water change and the PH fluctuations have been controlled. now the most i seem to get is around .4 difference before and after a wc. the ph before i put the fish in the new water is pretty close to 7.2 on a consitent basis. you can use a empty milk jug to make the tea bags last longer and control the amount you put in each wc.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #12 
Cattitude

The IAL in a jug is a good idea! Right now I'm not using anything because I'm waiting for my shipment of IAL, but when I get it I will make up jugs of IAL "tea" to add to the next water change for my tanks, instead of putting the leaves in directly.
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #13 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattitude View Post
The IAL in a jug is a good idea! Right now I'm not using anything because I'm waiting for my shipment of IAL, but when I get it I will make up jugs of IAL "tea" to add to the next water change for my tanks, instead of putting the leaves in directly.
i always have 2 jugs going. i have 2 3.4g KK and a 2.5g tank and evey week and a half i go over a gal of IAL water. at my pace im getting more mileage with IAL jugs than tossing the bags in the water. the jugs are a better idea imo because you dont need to wait for X minutes for the PH to drop.limiting stress due to PH. i dont brew any "tea" i just toss in t=into warm water filled jug and let it sit until i start on the 2nd one. reusing the bag a 2nd time is iffy. i wont drop the ph to 6.0-6.2, it'll probably go to 7.0-7.2 ??? im still waiting to see what it drops to in a 2L bottle.

i chose the teabags out of quantity than top quality. 35c per bag or $15 for fifty compared to 50c tp $1 per leaf of higher quality.

Last edited by nel3; 05-11-2012 at 05:06 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #14 
laoshun

Well if I really have to use it, I use mulberry leaf extract from the natural tea that I drink. It's not too bad, comes from laos.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #15 
Sheldon31

IAL is magical stuff. I love it, cannot sing enough about the benefits of it. I always have it in my tank 3 leaves for 20g. I am out at the moment! You can make your own liquid form by boiling indian almond leaves and I've seen IAL teabags on ebay.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote