Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #11 
Curlyfatbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffegg2 View Post
Where did you store your eggs? I'm told to freeze most, refrigerate the rest.

Jeff.
In my room
Inside my desk
Egg was a little over a year 19 months
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #12 
Liquid

Quote:
You don't need a lot, UNTIL it comes time to jar all those fish. THEN you will really need a dedicated fish room unless you can afford a lot of heaters....

Really it depends on how large a spawn you have. If you could limit the spawning to about 20 eggs, it could be manageable. Or an aggressive culling after a week or two? You have to have the strength to decide who will live and who will die.....

1 tank for male, 1 tank for female. both about 5 gal with heaters. One large tub for breeding and gro-out, with heater and sponge filter. At least one more large tub with heater to hold your jars unless you get a dedicated fish room.

This would be about the bare-minimum breeding kit.
Good luck,
Jeff.
My brother is moving out soon. He has a room in the basement. Its kinda small, but perfect size for a betta breeding room. I'm going to buy a small electric heater and leave it on 81 degrees when I have bettas down there.

As for culling, I'd rather give them away and fill up all my own tanks with them before culling. If I ever did have to cull, I would let their father eat them instead of me doing it myself.

Whats going to be hardest for me is getting all these fry foods. I don't understand how to get daphnia, microworms, brine shrimp, etc......

Also when do I seperate the fry and jar them so they don't kill each other?

Last edited by Liquid; 05-12-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Liquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #13 
lvandert

its a bit more complicated and expensive than that. I could sit here and type a page and a half on how to breed bettas. It requires multiple tanks, heaters, lights live foods, frozen foods, pellets, lots of plants live and plastic, lots of jars and then every disease cure you can think of for when they do get sick, its not if its when. ALso expect your parent's water bill to go up. you'll be doing LOTS of water changes
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #14 
lvandert

The microwowrm and brine shrimp you can order cultures online and get them shipped to your house. for a microworm culture it should cost under ten dollars, I'm not to sure about bbs. Also invest in Indian Almond Leaves. They help with the breeding process, and the fry's health
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #15 
Liquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
its a bit more complicated and expensive than that. I could sit here and type a page and a half on how to breed bettas. It requires multiple tanks, heaters, lights live foods, frozen foods, pellets, lots of plants live and plastic, lots of jars and then every disease cure you can think of for when they do get sick, its not if its when. ALso expect your parent's water bill to go up. you'll be doing LOTS of water changes
People make it seem so easy. X_X
Old 05-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #16 
Curlyfatbottom

Plus electric bill to.
Running all the water pump,heater, light and air pump will raise the bill 20-40 month
Old 05-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #17 
Curlyfatbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid View Post
People make it seem so easy. X_X
It get easier once you have all the set up
By then you'll be like $2k down the whole
Old 05-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #18 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid View Post

Whats going to be hardest for me is getting all these fry foods. I don't understand how to get daphnia, microworms, brine shrimp, etc......

Also when do I seperate the fry and jar them so they don't kill each other?
Well, I use two 2L soda bottles for BBS, just salt water and eggs, then pump with airline and tubing to keep them aerated. Here is what I use here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8sNx...ure=plpp_video

I ordered a microworm culture online. Just have three dollar store tubs that I make a layer of oatmeal, add some yeast, and some worms of course... I rotate them as the oldest one goes bad.

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #19 
Liquid

Quote:
Well, I use two 2L soda bottles for BBS, just salt water and eggs, then pump with airline and tubing to keep them aerated. Here is what I use here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8sNx...ure=plpp_video

I ordered a microworm culture online. Just have three dollar store tubs that I make a layer of oatmeal, add some yeast, and some worms of course... I rotate them as the oldest one goes bad.

Jeff.
Found microworm culture and indian almond leaves.
Microworm: http://www.microworms4sale.com/
Indian almond leaves: http://www.amazon.com/Indian-Almond-...6844265&sr=1-3
Old 05-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #20 
Curlyfatbottom

Daphnia
Best to buy for breeder
No disease or parasite
U can find them in lake or pond
But your taking a big risk of getting all your fish sick if u get them from pond n lake