Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #21 
Sincerely

Free-Swimming Fry

So the big day came today and I removed Kanki from the tank, he seemed to be done caring for the fry once they began to move from the nest. He is now in his own tank getting pampered with lots of frozen-feed and pellets along with some IAL to relax him.

Another good note is the micoworm culture seems to be stabilizing so a few of those went into the tank. To my surprise, the fry didn't give them a second look! They were completely ignored and sank to the bottom where they are still wriggling (Tonight the bottom of the tank will be siphoned. I have not seen any dead fry yet so that's a good sign ) My best guess as to why the microworms have been ignored is because:
A) They are eating all of the infusoria with gusto
B) I found some very, very small mosquito larvae squiggling around so I am guessing there were smaller ones that the fry snapped up. (I sucked up all the larger larvae and gave them to the sorority...they didn't even manage to squirm before they were eaten.)

Here are some pictures of the wrigglers!
(I added two gallons of fresh water to the tank via drip overnight and the fry haven't been phased in the least, going to add another two gallons tonight)

-Sincerely
Sincerely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #22 
jeffegg2

Cool

The first couple days of free swimming the fry won't eat much. They still are using their yolk sack. That is why you just add a few for those that may want a snack or to try them.... and as you say there may be infusoria in the water along with the plant.

Week 2 they will be hungry.

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #23 
Sincerely

I had thought about the egg sack after I had swished the microworms in, they became free swimming only last night so like you say Jeff many of them are using those egg sacks. I've watched a few dart around like they are chasing something but the majority of them just hang around various parts of the tank.

-Sincerely
Old 05-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #24 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincerely View Post
The little man in my avatar is Bartleby, he was the betta that got me interested into the idea of breeding. Unfortunately, he is also the reason I no longer trust my tapwater. Not only is it awful for bettas (Ph and hardness wise) there is bacteria in the water that has killed almost all of the fish I was owning at the time, including Bartleby (I woke up in the mourning and at the bottom of all the tanks was a orange dust that wasn't there when I changed the water.) He was the first betta I was going to breed because I loved his color, I now filter all my water before it goes into my aquariums.

The loss of Bartleby and many of my other fish taught me a hard lesson I will not soon forget.

-Sincerely
It's sad how we sometimes have to learn the hard way about our water. I know exactly how you feel. I had the exact same problem, but with tons more fish.

I went to Philadelphia, PA immediately did a water change after moving things in and the next morning I woke up to all of my fish dead. I had 10-15 bettas, a lot of fry that were about 2.5 months old and just a few tetras. They all died and basically I had to start all over. Meanwhile being without bettas for just over two months.

It was torturous and TBH I was more frustrated when I didn't have my fish than when I did have fish. I really thing that fish help you stop the stress. IMO its better than going through therapy and such that some people sometimes need. So basically I learned the hard way. I just think now...You can never be too careful.

Quote:
I managed to capture a picture of the babies with the Ipad we own which I had forgotten about until Bettalover mentioned it. They are very small and I had to crop the photo down in order to blow them up a little bit.

They are adorable, earlier I watched this one fry that kept spiraling down and couldn't make it back into the bubble nest even after Kanki had helped the fry a few times. When the fry began to spiral down again Kanki sucked him up and instead of blowing him back into the nest, Kanki swam around with the baby in his mouth for a minute or two, then spat the fry back out and it stuck like glue to the bubbles! Poor thing was tired, it needed a rest and dada helped him out .
That is too funny. I could definitely see him doing that. The spiralers are also funny to watch since I can never stop thinking of them as tiny airplanes running out of fuel. If you look REALLY close, you can see the caudal on them looks like a tiny fan.

The iPad takes acceptional pictures. Also the best thing about it is it takes the pictures VERY fast.

Quote:
So the big day came today and I removed Kanki from the tank, he seemed to be done caring for the fry once they began to move from the nest. He is now in his own tank getting pampered with lots of frozen-feed and pellets along with some IAL to relax him.

That's so good. He needs that pampering right now after all that hard work he did. From the sound of it, he did an amazing job.

I learned to keep the male with the fry for 1-1.5 weeks depending on his attitude toward the fry. I noticed if the male is a good father to the fry, the fry tend to be stronger and healthier.

Another good note is the micoworm culture seems to be stabilizing so a few of those went into the tank. To my surprise, the fry didn't give them a second look! They were completely ignored and sank to the bottom where they are still wriggling (Tonight the bottom of the tank will be siphoned. I have not seen any dead fry yet so that's a good sign ) My best guess as to why the microworms have been ignored is because:
A) They are eating all of the infusoria with gusto
B) I found some very, very small mosquito larvae squiggling around so I am guessing there were smaller ones that the fry snapped up. (I sucked up all the larger larvae and gave them to the sorority...they didn't even manage to squirm before they were eaten.)

Here are some pictures of the wrigglers!
(I added two gallons of fresh water to the tank via drip overnight and the fry haven't been phased in the least, going to add another two gallons tonight)

-Sincerely
With fry that small, it takes a few tries to get them to actually eat the live foods. They don't exactly get that, that is their food right there. The instinct will kick in after the second or third try. They'll catch on.

Also mosquito larvae is very good for bettas. They love it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just another note. I have to say, you seem to be doing a wonderful job and enjoying this very much. I like reading your posts because they are so fun since you put so much into each of them.

Good Job!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #25 
Sincerely

This post was meant to have pictures but photobucket was driving me insane and would not resize my photos. I will post them tomarrow instead.

Anyways, today I had a busy Mothers Day setting up my new rack that is to hold all of my extra tanks I have had but no place to put. I have the twenty gallon cycling with wisteria, Christmas moss and duckweed. Kanki is also staying in the twenty gallon (He hated his 2 gallon tank so I bumped him up to this and he loves it. I will feel bad when he is pulled to place the fry into.) For lighting on the racks I am using HO shop lights that make both twenty gallons very bright (it only cost me about 25 bucks for the unit and bulbs) I use glass covers for the tops of the tanks cause it uses less space and seems to trap humidity pretty good. The rack fits all of my 7 ten gallons on one shelf and two twenty gallons on the bottom. The top rack will be for jars and other stuff.

The fry seem more ravenous today so I fed them a mix of BBS and microworms,
I siphon at night so leftovers don't rot the water. I did notice two dead
Fry. I believe it is from deformities because earlier i saw a few fry spiraling around. Anyways, tomarrow I will post pictures!

Happy Mothers Day,
Sincerely

Last edited by Sincerely; 05-13-2012 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #26 
bettalover2033

You have everything under control.

Any new updates?

Did you lose any?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #27 
Sincerely

Present and Future

So I have been scheming for much too long and I have been getting mischievous ideas as to what to do with all...this...extra...space...

The racks hold 1000 pounds per shelf so a lot of tanks , the third
shelf is just holding junk until I actually need to use it for jars.

My twenty gallon setup (I fixed the flow for the power filter by jamming up a piece of airline tubing into intake pipe and placing a strip of plastic near the outflow to cause the water to disperse on the surface instead of going into the tank.)

While I was cleaning out the tanks to place them on the racks Annabelle decided she needed to help me clean the tanks. (I have to nitpick here about this picture, time for some schooling in corgi conformation. A corgis head ideally needs to create an equilateral triangle from the tips of each ear to the nose of the dog. Anna picked up the habit of carrying her ears high on her head from her dad, whenever she is excited she pulls those ears way high up on her head and it drives me nuts every time she does it, ruins the balance )

ANYWAYS..

I will move the fry in a few weeks to the twenty gallon once it has established abit more. Today the fry snacked on some banana worms and Walter worms and they loved it. I noticed no dead fry today after cleaning the bottom of the tank and now almost all of fry have now begun swimming at various levels of the tank instead of hovering at the surface (Majority of them hide in the Christmas moss)

So here is my question to all of you:
I have been considering preparing another spawn to grow alongside of this one, I have a few options as to who I can spawn together. I have plenty of supplies to support another spawn but I am unsure if I should do it or solely stay focused on Kanki X Pandora.
You guys know about Kanki and Pandora, but I also imported another pair that I really like because of their coloring, the form will need to be worked on and I know that going in but I haven't seen anything that is close to my ideal except for these two which are siblings.

Calypso

Numa (
This picture doesn't do him justice, he has a 180 flare spread. He is just incredibly lazy and it takes a lot to provoke him into flaring, I also noticed he has a spoon head but his sister has a flat topline.)

(Please keep in mind these are just wandering thoughts and I would like honest feedback as to how realistic my grandeur dreams are.)
Like I said, I know they need work but I am willing to put in the effort to try and improve this line. I could use Wicca to help improve form)

Option 1:
Short Term Goal: Fix form in next generation while keeping some of the ideal coloring traits.
Long Term Goal: Create a Green/Black bicolor with black fins and Green/turquoise body with minimal wash into the fins.

Option 2:
I have a copper male HMPK who is asymmetrical, I do not have a good photo of him yet but I will try to get one in the future. He has no red wash in his copper what-so-ever and it even extends into his pectorals. I am still memorizing the standard for the Asymmetrical HMPK but from what I have read he seems to fit the bill pretty well. I would have to get a female for him but that isn't really a huge issue.
Short Term Goal: Decide of breeding capabilities of Stain and whether he is breeding worthy.
Long Term Goal: Found a HMPK asymmetrical copper line that breeds true for copper with no red wash.

Option 3:
So you guys might like this option the best, I have always been interested in breeding bettas that people feel are hard to come by or have always wanted a breeder in the United States. Well, here is your chance, if there is a color or type you have been wanting to see here in the U.S. I could start to research and see the probabilities of the proposal.

So one more time. These are just ideas I have been conjuring. I am still new to breeding bettas but have owned quite a few tanks before. I know it will be a lot of work to keep up but it seems like I have too much food and my R/O unit keeps my barrel full of water. The only thing I am afraid of is finding homes for all the fry but I'm prepared to have to do some tough love and cull fry that are unsuited for breeding or being good quality pets.

-Sincerely

P.S. Thank you bettalover for your comment I didnt see it until I had posted the previous one, and yes everything is undercontrol (Maybe I have things too much in control, need some more mischief.)
Old 05-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #28 
Sincerely

Week Old Fry

The fry turned one week old today!

The fry are eating good and I have watched the little ones chomping down the banana worms and microworms until their bellies look like they are about to burst.

Almost all of them hide in the Christmas moss so it's hard to get a head count, so I am going to guesstimate around 50-75 fry, like I said it's hard to know for sure from the giant blob of moss.

I've calmed down from my post a few days ago, I really like to throw myself into the thick of things so when I had only one spawn and I was finished with maintenance so soon (I know this is going to change very quickly ) I was having itchy fingers to do something. I also need to make sure I don't have more than one spawn going so I can go to the IBC convention in Jacksonville in June (Why miss the chance to visit when it's so close?)

I might end up rebreeding Kanki and Pandora further down the line just to have a few more from them before they go into retirement, it just depends on how the fry turn out. Kanki was a very good daddy and gentlemen (Pandora only had a few small nips on her caudal and that was it, it has already healed up.) so we shall see.

Enough blabbing, pictures!

(These pictures are huge! I hate photobucket, it does not resize them right away. I have to wait a few hours for it to update to post the rest of the pictures.)

Last edited by Sincerely; 05-16-2012 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Big pictures
Old 05-17-2012, 12:02 AM   #29 
dramaqueen
Banned

It sounds like everything is going very well for you. Good luck.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #30 
Sincerely

It's been a couple days since my last update so I thought you all would like to hear one .

The fry are almost two weeks old now!
The fry are doing awesome and are growing very well, they eat like pigs and now I have to switch to feeding three times a day because two isn't enough, all of their bellies are HUGE. They seem to be out in the open more and not as shy hiding the in Christmas Moss. I've been alternating their feeding between BBS, and a mix of Walter, Banana and Microworms. I'm doing about a gallon of water change a day just to siphon the bottom really good, I don't want to do bigger changes until they get a little bigger, it seems like I'm still sucking up one or two per change.
Another note, I am noticing a big size difference already in the fry, a majority of them are very large while I have a few runts of the litter. I am hoping they catch up in size with me placing more food in the tank for them.
When they turn a month old I will be placing them into the 20 gallon so that there is more room for them to stretch.

I will try to post some pictures tomorrow when photobucket decides to resize my photos .

-Sincerely