Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #1 
birdielikestomatoes

My Girls are Being Naughty

So yesterday I discovered that my two betta girls were getting all feisty with each other. Now usually they get along very well, Eugeney will halfheartedly chase Hilda for about a second after they've eaten but that's the extent of their 'arguments.'

When I saw them yesterday Eugeney was flaring and trying to nip at Hilda, and Hilda always one to hold her own against her older tank mate was doing the same back. *sigh* Eugeney is now in a plastic ziplock taped to the inside of the tank and even though they're separated they still are winding each other up.

I'm sure this fight broke out because of Eugeney's failing eyesight. For the past few weeks I've noticed that she's having more and more trouble seeing her pellets and I've noticed her bumping into some of the decor. If it keeps up then I'll probably have to separate them.

I took some pictures of them and I'll add them later.
birdielikestomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

It's always a risk keeping just two females together. :(
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #3 
birdielikestomatoes

I know. They've always gotten along so well. The past couple of nights I have alternated having one of them in a bag andtoday it seems like they are just ignoring one another.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #4 
Keroro

Would you consider getting three more betta's to make a sorority? That might calm the waters if you have a proper tank for it. Otherwise the only option if they start getting aggressive is to separate them entirely or use a divider, unfortunately.
Keroro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #5 
birdielikestomatoes

I've thought about it but right now I only have a 5g (and another on the way for my boy!) and I don't have the funds to get another tank. I'm just going to keep an eye on them for the moment and see if they calm down, which they have considerably. I've also rearranged the decor so that there are more hiding places if they feel the need to escape one another. I honestly don't know what brought this on, they truly get along most of the time and have been for the past 5 months they've been living together.

^ That is how I separated them as soon as I saw them fighting. The next night I put Hilda in a baggy and this morning when I released her they seemed to just ignore each other. They started acting like themselves throughout the day. I was watching them like a hawk.

Last edited by birdielikestomatoes; 05-12-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #6 
scootshoot

Nice crowntails. Female crowntails get gobbled up quick at my local Petco.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #7 
birdielikestomatoes

Thank you! I picked up Eugeney at my local Petco and my mom bought Hilda on a whim at a Petco in Salt Lake. I hadn't originally planned on getting another betta but well...once she was brought into the house I fell in love with her.