Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #1 
CRShelton

One White Eye, but not cloudy

Hello, I'm fairly new to Bettas, getting my first about 2 months ago. The first two did not survive as I was learning, but Svengali has been with me for about 5 weeks and seems healthy and happy. I change his water every other day and he seems to swim right into the net. I think knows he might get some bloodworms for his trouble. Then he gets right to work building a new nest, which is usually huge and thick by the next day.

My question about Svengali is that he has one eye that is dark and seems "normal" from pictures I've seen of other bettas. His other eye is not dark, but it is not a cloudy eye like other pictures I have seen. His pupil is nice and dark, and there is no redness and no swelling or protrusion. It is just that I can see the white of his eye. Occasionally it gets a little darker, especially when the rest of his colors fade a little, but when he is at his brightest, so is his left eye.

Is this just some genetic flare, or something I should be worried about? He has had it since I got him.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 Gallon. (Yes I'm saving for an upgrade.)
What temperature is your tank? Stays a little high. Around 85.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes, non adustable heater.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Bio-Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times per day. 2-4 pellets depending on how hungry he acts. 2 bloodworm treats per week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every Other Day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Alternating about 70% and then 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: Gets up a little above .25 by the 100% water change Day
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? When I got him he was grey. Pet Store owner told me he was a special silver Betta. I belived it, but after putting him in a good evironment he turned Green and Blue like a mermaid.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all. Very active and playful. Loves to build huge nests.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Since I got him about 5 weeks ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? NA
Does your fish have any history of being ill? NA
How old is your fish (approximately)? I don't know.
CRShelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Can you get pictures of him, and his eye? It would be alot easier to see what's wrong with him.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #3 
CRShelton

Yes, I will do my best. My good camera is on vacation with my wife, but if I can get a decent one with my phone I'll post it.
CRShelton is offline   Reply With Quote