Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #21 
MrVampire181

@Curly, YES DAPHNIA ARE AMAZING. I love mine.

But to the OP. It takes a LOT to breed these fish. Bettas are considered an easy fish to breed but I know of several people who have bred difficult species of fresh and saltwater who can't raise bettas. They are easy to spawn but very difficult to raise.

A basic fish room would require:

Two tanks for the adult pair
A large (30+ gallon) tank or tub
A 10 gallon tank or tub for spawning bettas
Hundreds of jars

I use a space heater in my fish room but 81F is too cold. You'll need to keep it up towards 83F-84F for ideal water temperature. Also as a newbie the odds are stacked against you. You should use some tank heaters to start so the fry don't have temperature shifts. This will kill them off.

You need live BBS, micro worms, filters etc. It's also very time consuming. I spend at least four hours a day doing regular maintenance.

Some good sites:

www.bettatalk.com
www.bettysplendens.com
www.bettaterritory.nl
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #22 
Thomasdog

+1 Mr. V

What might also help is to read other spawning stories here. They really helped me a lot!! I kinda learned what works and what dosen't.
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #23 
Liquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
@Curly, YES DAPHNIA ARE AMAZING. I love mine.

But to the OP. It takes a LOT to breed these fish. Bettas are considered an easy fish to breed but I know of several people who have bred difficult species of fresh and saltwater who can't raise bettas. They are easy to spawn but very difficult to raise.

A basic fish room would require:

Two tanks for the adult pair
A large (30+ gallon) tank or tub
A 10 gallon tank or tub for spawning bettas
Hundreds of jars

I use a space heater in my fish room but 81F is too cold. You'll need to keep it up towards 83F-84F for ideal water temperature. Also as a newbie the odds are stacked against you. You should use some tank heaters to start so the fry don't have temperature shifts. This will kill them off.

You need live BBS, micro worms, filters etc. It's also very time consuming. I spend at least four hours a day doing regular maintenance.

Some good sites:

www.bettatalk.com
www.bettysplendens.com
www.bettaterritory.nl
I see... biggest thing for me would be getting hundreds of jars, and getting baby brine shrimp and micro worms. I could spend 4 hours a day since school is almost out and I'll be home during summer vacation. I wish bettas would have 10 fry. o_o
Liquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #24 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyfatbottom View Post
Daphnia
Best to buy for breeder
No disease or parasite
U can find them in lake or pond
But your taking a big risk of getting all your fish sick if u get them from pond n lake
Yes, if you start harvesting bugs out of a local swamp or pond expect to get parasites....

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #25 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid View Post
I see... biggest thing for me would be getting hundreds of jars, and getting baby brine shrimp and micro worms. I could spend 4 hours a day since school is almost out and I'll be home during summer vacation. I wish bettas would have 10 fry. o_o
Just don't leave them alone. Put them together, and if they don't spawn before you need to leave, then separate them. Keep doing that until they spawn. Remove the female when there are 10 eggs or what ever number you prefer...... Most breeders will want the maximum so there are more fish to choose the best from and cull the rest.

Pretty simple if that is what you want. Expect to get mostly females though if you do that. I would suggest this method to anyone that wants to "Practice breed" and not jump in with both feet!

Jeff.

Last edited by jeffegg2; 05-12-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #26 
Liquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffegg2 View Post
Just don't leave them alone. Put them together, and if they don't spawn before you need to leave, then separate them. Keep doing that until they spawn. Remove the female when there are 10 eggs or what ever number you prefer...... Most breeders will want the maximum so there are more fish to choose the best from and cull the rest.

Pretty simple if that is what you want. Expect to get mostly females though if you do that. I would suggest this method to anyone that wants to "Practice breed" and not jump in with both feet!

Jeff.
Meh I'm not into culling. I'd rather select one or two betta to keep and sell the rest or give them away.
Liquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #27 
Curlyfatbottom

When u harvest have two different type of net.
One with a bigger hole just to harvest the adult daphnia
Fin net to harvest the babies daphnia
So far I've have 8 tub just daphnia
Got high hope for my pond but it let me down.
My comet ate all the daphnia(put few thousand inside N still can't harvest any)
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #28 
dramaqueen
Banned

As others have said, research is very important. You have to have space, money and time. As Jeffegg pointed out, you can't leave the pair unsupervised and when the fry hatch you need to feed them frequently, like 3 times a day I think. You'll also have to do frequent water changes. If you're the kind of person who has an active social life, lots of after school activities and stuff like that then you won't have time to take care of fry.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #29 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyfatbottom View Post
Daphnia
Best to buy for breeder
No disease or parasite
U can find them in lake or pond
But your taking a big risk of getting all your fish sick if u get them from pond n lake
If you age the whole culture and after a few 25-50% water changes every 2-4 weeks, parasites will die out without a host. .... IME 1 week is adequate to avoid parasites (direct tap water + direct sunlight).

But if you immediately use them, problems do happen.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #30 
jeffegg2

Cool

I do leave my pairs unsupervised. I only said if you wish to pull her premature to limit the number of eggs.....

Jeff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
As others have said, research is very important. You have to have space, money and time. As Jeffegg pointed out, you can't leave the pair unsupervised and when the fry hatch you need to feed them frequently, like 3 times a day I think. You'll also have to do frequent water changes. If you're the kind of person who has an active social life, lots of after school activities and stuff like that then you won't have time to take care of fry.