Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #1 
LebronTheBetta

Top Fin Gravel Vaccuum?!?!

So, Let me tell you my problem. You see, I bought this Gravel Siphon/Gravel Vacuum by Top Fin. I tried for the very first time last Friday.
I did as the Directions told me. It hardly worked. It took some debris from the Gravel, and some water, but it only worked when I pressed the ball, thingy. It never siphons by it's own. What is the Best way to use it, and how to make it work? I really need your help on this.
Any Suggestions would be Greatly Appreciated. Thanks!!! ;)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Hi Lebron!

I too have the same siphon as you, and it can work VERY efficiently as long as you press the ball thingy more than one time to really get the flow going. The only way to start a siphon (TOP-FIN) is by pressing the ball thing to get the flow started. It can take practice, but once you get it started, it can work WONDERS for your tank!

Good Luck!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Thanks, Rainbow!!!
Do I have to like Press/Pinch the Ball rapidly? Or like, do it Slow and Steady?
Are there other ways to get it started? Or is it just this? Thanks, again!!!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #4 
MyRainbowBettaFish

No Problem! It depends on how many times you push the ball, for example, if you are starting the siphon slow and steady, you might want to press it more (about 4-5 times). If you are starting the suction fast, squeeze the ball about 3-4 times. Be careful though, because sometimes my siphon can get started quickly and kinda surprise me and the fish.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

These siphon things work using the strong cohesive properties of water (ie that water likes to stick to water). In order for the siphon to work well and really vacuum out the debris, you need to have a continuous stream of water going from your tank to the bucket on the floor; no bubbles in the tube. Having the end of the hose where water comes out lower than the tip of the hose will also help a lot. Trust me. I have been using this siphons to clean tanks for years now. If you can't get a really good stream going, suck on the lower end of the hose, but stop before the water reaches your mouth. It's a lot like siphoning petrol.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote