Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #1 
Little Veiltail

Progressively losing scales from head to tail

Hi guys, it's been a while, hasn't it?

My current betta friend Mako, who I have had since June 11th of 2011 (he's almost a year old!), normally has this nice navy blue coloring, darker in the middle and lighter on the fins. He also has some yellow on him.

Well, recently he has been either losing scales or turning white, I can't really tell. It started around his gills and head, but now it seems to be moving back toward his tail. It just looks like his skin is a different color, and not like a fuzzy fungus or anything like that. He also has a weird lump on one side, it's not spiky like Dropsy and it's not quite in the right place to be stomach bloating. I don't know if that's related or not. Maybe a tumor? Other than that though, he still swims and flares and eats just fine. Well, let me lay out the specs of the tank.

Size: 3g, filtered

Temp: 76-80

Food: 2 pellets in the morning, one at night. Sometimes he eats bloodworms but he usually spits them back out. Won't touch the flakes.

Cleanings: 50% every week, 100% every month, and I also change the filter cartridge monthly. Currently he has a little bit of aquarium salt in his water, because I was worried about infection. Hasn't seemed to help much though.

I think I first noticed the lump a week ago when I got back from college, and then the white color has been showing up the past couple of days.

My dad was taking care of Mako for like two months while I was at school, and I made sure he knew what to do before I left, so I assumed everything was fine. The only thing he did tell me was that he would let the tap water sit for 24 hours before doing a water change, as opposed to using the water conditioner. I didn't think anything of it, because I figured if the water sat that long it should be fine. The only other real change that was made recently was that I bought some of those aquarium plant bulbs from Walmart and put them into the tank to grow. Only one of them ever sprouted and my dad threw out the rest before they began to rot.

I will try to attach some photos but my camera is pretty bad at up-close shots so it probably just looks like a black blob. I guess I could outline where the shape of the fish is to possibly help.

Anyway, thanks a lot for any input. I seem to have bad luck with fish around the 1-2 year mark, even though I think I'm doing things right. =/
Attached Images

Little Veiltail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:28 AM   #2 
FishyFishy89

I cannot see anything. And the outline doesn't really help me much.
Have you tried any treatment?
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #3 
Little Veiltail

Yeah, I didn't think the pictures would help much, but I know it's something people always ask for so I figured I'd at least try.

No treatment yet besides aquarium salt. The only other thing I have is Melafix and I don't want to try to use that unless it's necessary, as I've heard it can cause problems. If this isn't something that requires chemical treatment, I don't want to risk it.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #4 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Veiltail View Post
Yeah, I didn't think the pictures would help much, but I know it's something people always ask for so I figured I'd at least try.

No treatment yet besides aquarium salt. The only other thing I have is Melafix and I don't want to try to use that unless it's necessary, as I've heard it can cause problems. If this isn't something that requires chemical treatment, I don't want to risk it.
I vote Espom salt over aquarium salt.
Hopefully someone like OFL will chime in.

Has he improved at all since you started treatment?
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #5 
Little Veiltail

I haven't noticed a change at all. He still appears to be losing scales. =(