Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #1 
joshy629

betta wont build bubble nest

Ive tried all i lknow. The water is 80 degrees. I have a 20 gallon tank. Ive introduced the male n female plenty of times but not freeley in a jar or something. Leave them together for an hr or 2. Gave them their time apart. Tryed leaveing them were they could always see eachother all the time. The male shows off. Flutters his gills etc. But he has yet to build a bubble nest. There is a place he can build it that has no current or anything. Feed them freeze dried blood worms at night. There are live plants.Do u thinlk its the male/? Should i try new fish? Please help
joshy629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #2 
Curlyfatbottom

Some male just don't make bubble nest before breeding
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Is the Female Betta showing off Vertical Stripes???
This shows when the Female is also interested in the Male.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #4 
Mo

Is the female even full of eggs
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #5 
KadenJames

The water is 80 degrees.
Try bumping up the temperature a bit. Spawning in the wild takes place when the weather is warmest, and there are plenty of food sources available.

I have a 20 gallon tank.
You should either divide the 20 gallon for spawning, or use a smaller tank. In my experience, it's easy for the male to get side-tracked in a larger tank. A lot of breeders are starting to use clear plastic tubs from Walmart- they're cheap and filled to 5 inches or so, the male is consistently in the female's vicinity.

Ive introduced the male n female plenty of times but not freeley in a jar or something. Leave them together for an hr or 2. Gave them their time apart. Tryed leaveing them were they could always see eachother all the time.
You should keep them completely separate from one another while conditioning for at least 2 weeks. Conditioning should consist of high quality food, and a variety of it. Clean water is also a must.

The male shows off. Flutters his gills etc.
Does he wag his body in an "S" fashion around her? Does she seem interested or bored?

There is a place he can build it that has no current or anything.
It's a good idea to invest in Indian Almond Leaves. 9 times out of 10 the male will build a nest under the leaf rather than anything else. It also fills the water with beneficial nutrients that induce spawning and help build the fry's immune system against disease.

Feed them freeze dried blood worms at night.
I never recommend feeding freeze dried blood worms. They bloat the stomach and can cause other serious issues. Is this all you've been feeding them through conditioning? If so, you'll have to re-condition, freeze dried bloodworms are not nutritious enough to get the bettas into the spawning condition.

Do u thinlk its the male/? Should i try new fish?

Follow this advice, as well as the advice of other breeders here, and try it again. If you have everything perfected down to a T, it could be that your male is a procrastinator. I've had males that refuse to build a nest until they begin the actual spawning. If they never do spawn, you could have a personality conflict. Sometimes just like people, bettas just don't click. It's important to have 2 males and 2 females of the same finnage/color you are going for in case a personality conflict arises. This way you can have 4 different combinations.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #6 
joshy629

I have a 10 gallon tank as well but the filter causes high current :( so do u think he may not build a bububble nest untill the female is actually in the tank? And she shows lines but they run long ways not up n down. They have been conditoning for a while. She has eggs. What do u suggest i do? I have just been waiting on the bubble nest
Old 05-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #7 
joshy629

And whats some good foods?
Old 05-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #8 
KadenJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshy629 View Post
I have a 10 gallon tank as well but the filter causes high current :( so do u think he may not build a bububble nest untill the female is actually in the tank? And she shows lines but they run long ways not up n down. They have been conditoning for a while. She has eggs. What do u suggest i do? I have just been waiting on the bubble nest

Your setup should look something similar to this-

You don't need a filter until after a week or two; the fry are so fragile and small that they can easily get sucked up or tossed around so much that they die of stress. A sponge filter is the only way to go, and that's along with frequent water changes. You can find sponge filters for pretty cheap on eBay.

If the female has horizontal stripes, she is not ready or willing to breed, no matter what kind of setup you have. If you condition them properly, she will be receptive to the male and will show vertical stripes.

What have you been feeding them during conditioning?

Quote:
And whats some good foods?
Frozen bloodworms, grindal worms, daphnia, brine shrimp, blackworms. Variety is key, but make sure you fast them one day of the week to prevent a buildup in the digestive tract.

Last edited by KadenJames; 05-13-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #9 
joshy629

And how do u suggest i condotion them?
Old 05-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #10 
KadenJames

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=82910

Here is a link to a sticky at the top of this category on conditioning and spawning. It should help you out. :)