Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #51 
SnowySurface

Actually, I think I'm on BasementBetta's side on this one. XD

The one comment below is a bit of a low blow and if it pops up with google searches it can turn away some customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post

OH Dear me...."Home of show quality bettas"
PewPewPew asked a question that was answered very well, but other responses bashed or complained about the price of the fish, the price of shipping, and the fact that only the price of the fish is refunded in cases of DOA. If someone doing a quick search doesn't look at the date of the thread and doesn't read all 50-ish reponses, that person could get the wrong idea about BB.

I don't know much about BB nor do I buy bettas on Aqua Bid, but I doubt any breeder deserves to have the quality of his/her fish questioned because he/she sells a show quality betta with damaged fins for a reduced price. If I was in BB's possition, I would probably necro-bump this thread too.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #52 
Sena Hansler

Not all bettas can be shown off with the perfect, non-damaged fins. AB may have some beauties, but do not expect the 100% perfect. Personally I would argue about that ThaiTyBeta guy, rather than BasementBetta. Do his fish look healthy? Yes. Do they display stress lines? No. Are their gills inflamed, blackened, or scarred badly? No. Do his fish have ich, or other noticeable parasites? No. Do you think his fish would arrive safely if he were to ship SICK fish? NO.

Shipping sick fish is dnagerous. I was shipped healthy fish and 2 weren't doing great the first couple of days. Imagine if they were sent sick?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #53 
Martinismommy

I'll chime in here....Basementbettas is a good friend of mine who has beautiful fish...She is a responsible breeder and cares very much about her lines...She has an excellent show record and is very active in the IBC...

As far as fin damage, I can't begin to tell you how many fish I have imported from Thailand who came to me in awful condition...They are shredded way worse than the fish of Sherolyn's....You don't always get the beautiful fish in the picture you see on Aquabid.....It will be the same fish but 50% of the time they arrive a shredded mess....Shipping is stressful so keep that in mind...
Martinismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #54 
Sena Hansler

I'm actually surprised none of mine bit their fins during transit :) My crowntail does get upset easily though and he sulked for a week It's just how it is. And I LOVE the person I get mine from! Curteous, friendly, and brings in some decent quality fish.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #55 
Luimeril

sometimes, fish shred their tails during shipment. it's more common in halfmoons/deltas/rosetails than other tail types. i was lucky that my rosetail came to me with just the nick in his tail he had in his auction picture, but sometimes they destroy their tails.

i've seen many breeders sell fish who shredded their tails for discounted prices. there's nothing wrong with the fish, other than he shredded his tail, which is something that's very easily fixed. why not buy him, then breed him? you're getting wonderful genetics, for a very discounted price. it's a steal!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #56 
BeckyFish97

I don't mean to be rude to the OP...but...REALLY?!are you not aware that fish bite their tails during shipping because of the stress?Unless BB took a pair of scissors to the fish's tail before shipping (which obviously they didn't) then it is more likely YOUR fault for buying the fish and ASKING for it to be shipped!I think you owe BB an apology
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #57 
Sena Hansler

Luimeril heck yeah!!! I'd snatch a good genetics betta for cheap just because he shredded his tail
Old 05-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #58 
BeckyFish97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Luimeril heck yeah!!! I'd snatch a good genetics betta for cheap just because he shredded his tail
I like the idea but I would be wary that the tail biting would reoccur...but then I'm a natural "worrier"
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #59 
Sena Hansler

meh I've had tail biters xDD I just found ways to make them stop. Oooorrrr let them keep biting - Crayola's tail was ever growing, so he trimmed it himself
Old 05-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #60 
Luimeril

i wouldn't worry TOO much. i mean, if you're looking for a good betta to breed, snatch him up. i, personally, don't think tail biting is genetic(others do say otherwise, though), but it could have been a sibling fight, jumping into another's container, stress of any kind, ect. :B
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote