Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #11 
Mo

I didn't notice the dorsal but I definitely noticed the anal, I'm not quite experienced in breeding so I didn't exactly know if there was something wrong with breeding him. I don't have any pictures of the females. But the one you are recommending that I breed, the seller has a sibling female
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #12 
KadenJames

Here's my two cents-

The first male, though it's kind of hard to tell because it isn't a straight on flare shot, has several issues. Tried to highlight them below.

The dorsal is a bit long, and has either damage or random extended rays. It should be a bit more forward-facing and broader, too. The caudal has some damage to it, and the anal looks a bit too long, and should also be more forward facing.

The second male:

He's got nice vibrant coloring, but has some issues as well. The branching on the caudal and dorsal is a little bent, could definitely be straighter. The caudal penducle should also be a bit thicker, where the body meets the caudal. He's also got some bad scaling towards the front of his body. The anal is a tad long, and the blue pattern isn't continued on the anal fin like the other two fins. Ideally the pattern should be consistent on all three fins.

The third male I believe is the best overall, although his caudal is a bit off balance, the dorsal is just a touch too short, and the anal is a touch too long. Definitely the best out of the 4, though.

The fourth male, the mustard gas, is my least favorite. His anal is very, very long, and his dorsal is short. His ventral fins should be longer, and there are a few branches on the caudal that are bent/wavy. He also has a mild spoon-head.

So, my choice would be the blue. Hope I helped. =)
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #13 
beat2020

The third boy's anal is has the perfect shape in my opinion...I guess he would make a good breeding project if paired to a nicely branched DT geno or DT female...I really like that the 2nd male has better branching and better balance overall though.
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #14 
MyRainbowBettaFish

I LOVE the yellow/black half-moon!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:31 AM   #15 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I would breed the second male. Yes he has issues - otherwise the breeder wouldn't sell him
Notice the front ray of his dorsal - straight and firm. This trait is hard to achieve in a few generations and is hard to maintain if not bred correctly. Another trait I like about him is his wide ventral, something not all long fins have. His faults may be genetic but IMO can easily be bred out.

Pair him to a 4 ray female with symmetrical body, preferably pointed edge caudal. She doesn't have to be HM, super DeT should be OK - thus avoid roses. Look for a dorsal that rather stands .... this should be close to impossible. Most important she must have balanced fins.

It would be easier to breed female F1 to father. Make at least 2 batches to ensure his traits on F2. Then inbreed F2. You should have something very close to daddy.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #16 
beat2020

I agree with indjo...That male has a really nice dorsal. Less faults to fix on #2.
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #17 
Mo

Thank you for all your help! I'm very confident on breeding male #2
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote