Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Contests
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: How many of you would participate?
DEFINITELY!!! 240 85.71%
Mm, maybe. 39 13.93%
Definitely NOT! 1 0.36%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #91 
Sena Hansler

Hmm so how would we make it so people cannot do that? Computer I.P address?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #92 
Wolfie305

Well, those were only suggestions, but when is the raffle happening?

Having been on internet forums since I was just 10 years old (now 23), I've seen lots of bad/unfair stuff happen. While I'm in no way implying the intentions of any "newbies" here (I'm still new myself), there are often times where people will only join a forum for the sake of a contest or what-have-you and then never show their face around the forum again once they win or lose. Makes it slightly unfair to the people who have dedicated months or years to said forums. Not to mention people making multiple accounts and winning that way.

That's why I like the idea of having a slight requirement before joining. Depending on when the raffle is supposed to start, anyone who truly just joined this forum for the sake of betta fish ownership and to be a part of the community should be able to stick around and make a certain number of posts before the raffle starts? I feel like anyone who is just here for the contest won't want to waste their time or they'll just forget, therefore, never entering.

Of course, I could just be overthinking here and making things over complicated xD!!!

IP address thing could work, but a mod/admin might have to get involved to do that.
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #93 
Sena Hansler

true. Well, for some of the new people, maybe they should make 50-100 posts or something? I mean you cannot use the classified section without 500 posts. This stops those "I use every classified ad place to place my spam" people
Old 05-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #94 
ForbiddenSecrets

We can limit it to people who joined before this thread was posted if we do it soon c: That's pretty much any user who is over two weeks old, no matter how actively they have posted. That also secures that people didn't make more accounts specifically for this raffle without penalizing the more quiet users.

Just a suggestion that might be easier then IP addresses and stuff like that [which can hurt people who live together to]
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #95 
Sena Hansler

that's a good idea :)
Old 05-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #96 
Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
true. Well, for some of the new people, maybe they should make 50-100 posts or something? I mean you cannot use the classified section without 500 posts. This stops those "I use every classified ad place to place my spam" people
It used to only be 100
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #97 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadenJames View Post
That's a clever idea, but there is a large scale of different age groups here, and not everyone can afford to pay $2 for a virtual ticket. I want it to be as fair as possible for every member here, so everyone will get one number. =)
Yeah, I am too poor to pay for a virtual ticket. :/
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #98 
True Indigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenSecrets View Post
We can limit it to people who joined before this thread was posted if we do it soon c: That's pretty much any user who is over two weeks old, no matter how actively they have posted. That also secures that people didn't make more accounts specifically for this raffle without penalizing the more quiet users.

Just a suggestion that might be easier then IP addresses and stuff like that [which can hurt people who live together to]
I think that sounds a bit fair. I am however, open to hearing other people's views. Wolfie brought up a very important point.
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #99 
Twilight Storm

I didn't think of people possibly cheating / making accounts just to be in a drawing. :/ Good point though.... I'd still like to think people are more honest then that, but I know there is always someone... :(

People joining before the post was placed up here is probably the most fair....

I don't like the "post 50-100 messages to play" idea only because some people just don't talk a lot in forums but read a lot of the posts. I have no idea how many posts I've made. I figure our forum status reflects that somehow?

I DO know on another forum someone was using all the computers at their place of work to enter votes for a contest. In cases like that monitoring IP addresses won't work. They ended up getting 200 employees to vote for them on unique computers. :(

On a happier note this thread and KadenJames made me lurk around and drool over some fish on aquabid recently LOL! I won't win, but I can still look!

The day this was posted I looked on aquabid and there were really no nice looking fish. People put up some new really nice fish though. :D

Last edited by Twilight Storm; 05-15-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:59 AM   #100 
copperarabian

This is going to be exciting, who ever wins is going to be thrilled :)
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assault0137 was here, hello!, kaden is a legend!!!, kaden is awesome!!!, legend of the black dog, legend of the great wolf, thank you kaden!!