Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #1 
wah543

Question about getting a 10 gal tank

I have a couple of bettas and I was wondering if I got them a 10 gallon tank what would be a good way of dividing them, like what would I need to make a divider?
wah543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #2 
Shirleythebetta

I use plexiglass and aquarium sealant but most use plastic craft mesh and aquarium sealant because its easier. I prefer my method though because there have been many story's on here about there fish finding a way to get past the mesh and getting mauled. My way also has minimal water flowing to the other side so they don't share water. I like that because they won't share sickness either if one gets sick. My way won't really work in a 10 though since you need a good filter/heater for the whole thing.

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 05-14-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #3 
jeffegg2

Cool

How about two 5's?

There are lots of ways to do it, but hard to just tell you how as I don't know what you are capable of....

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #4 
wah543

I want to get them a better tank but I'm not sure what I should get. I'm just trying to figure the best way to give them more room. I was just wondering how you could divide a 10 gallon tank so I wouldn't need to buy a new heater or filter
Old 05-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #5 
Kim

You can certainly divide a 10 gallon for 2 bettas. I always used the craft canvas/report spine method and it worked pretty well. Mine just stayed in place due to pressure, but if you're worried about escapees you can always silicone it in place since you haven't set up the aquarium yet. What I did to keep even water flow/ heat distribution was to position the filter intake tune on one side of the divider and let the outflow lie on the other side (for a HOB filter), which requires you to cut a little notch out of the top of the divider where the outflow crosses it. I had a mini canister filter on one 10 gallon which was even easier as you just position the intake tube on one side and the outflow tube on the other. In either case I positioned the heater right next to the intake tube so that the filter would distribute the heat.

My dividers worked pretty well. My only complaint, and why I probably won't do it again, is that they were a great place for algae to grow and were pretty hard to clean without making a giant mess.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #6 
wah543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
You can certainly divide a 10 gallon for 2 bettas. I always used the craft canvas/report spine method and it worked pretty well. Mine just stayed in place due to pressure, but if you're worried about escapees you can always silicone it in place since you haven't set up the aquarium yet. What I did to keep even water flow/ heat distribution was to position the filter intake tune on one side of the divider and let the outflow lie on the other side (for a HOB filter), which requires you to cut a little notch out of the top of the divider where the outflow crosses it. I had a mini canister filter on one 10 gallon which was even easier as you just position the intake tube on one side and the outflow tube on the other. In either case I positioned the heater right next to the intake tube so that the filter would distribute the heat.

My dividers worked pretty well. My only complaint, and why I probably won't do it again, is that they were a great place for algae to grow and were pretty hard to clean without making a giant mess.
How would you use this method? like what do you need to do it and how do you do it?