Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #1 
Ianthe

Should I rescue him or leave him?

We currently have just one betta, he is in a ten gallon community and doing great. Was at Petsmart earlier getting cat food and saw a pathetic looking but gorgeous red and white CT in a really dirty cup :( I am REALLY tempted to go back and get him, BUT, I am not prepared to buy or set up another tank right now so he would have to go into a 1-2 gallon unheated bowl. Which I know is not good, but at least the water would be clean...?

Thoughts? Thanks!
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #2 
Shadyr

As my userpic probably indicates, I have a soft spot for that coloration I vote rescue!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #3 
MollyJean

If you're not sure about keeping him, at the very least complain to the store and tell them his water is bad and he needs to be properly cared for. Make an official complaint and raise a fuss about it. They should be caring for him properly anyway.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #4 
a123andpoof

Just get the betta and a heater. He could live very happily in a 1 or 2 gallon bowl. I say get him and a heater and your set.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #5 
Ianthe

Thanks :) The heater would have to wait a while...BUT it *is* summer and pretty warm in our house.....?
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #6 
Danibunkins

I definitely say pick him up.

I did that for a rabbit I felt was poorly cared for when I was a teen. Thing lived 4 years!
Danibunkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #7 
Bettaluver4evr

I say do it! I saw my girl in the same situation, and I didn't act on it. Thought about her every day for a week until I went back in and saw her again. Cried on the phone to my mom until she gave in. :) 1-2 gallons is more than what 75% of all bettas ever get. He'll be very thankful to get out of that cup!
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #8 
True Indigo

Worse comes to worse, you save him in either case. If you get him and save him, you can pass it on to someone else who can take better available care. :)
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #9 
Tikibirds

I say go for it. You can also use a storage container for a home as they are cheap and come in a variety of sizes. 2-3 gallon one would be maybe $5?
And you can always search out a 25 watt heater on ebay or amazon. It may take a few days or a week or two but eventually you will find a cheap one.
He will be OK for a little bit without a heater but cold temps and fluctuating temps are not good for him in the long run so the sooner you can get one the better off he will be.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #10 
MrVampire181

Purchasing isn't rescuing. Another betta will just take his place. I'd make a fuss about it and get him for free.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote