Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #1 
BettaLover223

Good food?

I was just wondering what would be something good for my betta to eat. I have given him pellets, freeze dried worms and flakes. Which one is better for him? I know the worms are like a treat but I still give them to him he loves them!
BettaLover223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Pellets are better than Flakes, and should be the Staple Diet.
Freeze-Dried Bloodworm should be only given out as a treat 2-3 times a week.
Good Pellet Brands:
. Hikari
. New Life Spectrum
. Omega One Betta Buffet
And some others that I don't know.
Hope you get the right one!;)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #3 
Micho

Yes, frozen or freeze-dried bloodworms are considered treats, once or twice a week is enough. Since you have freeze-dried bloodworms, remember to pre-soak them so they can expand, not pre-soaking them in advance may cause bloating since the bloodworms will expand while inside the stomach of your Betta.

As Lebron has stated above the best three pellet brands out there are; NLS, Omega One, and Hikari Bio-Gold, or Atison's, but they've discontinued Atison's so it may be a bit hard to find now.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #4 
TheCheese909

My favorite brand of pellets would be by Aqueon. They seem to be my Bettas favorite type so they are the ones I use the most. Aqueon recently introduced the Color Enhancing type, which I'm also using, I don't know how much better it works color wise because i've only been using it a week or so.

New Life Spectrum also has a Betta type of food, but i'm not sure how well it works I haven't gotten to use it as of yet. I do use their Small Fish Formula for acouple of my Bettas and they seem to really like it as well.

Frozen food is more nutritious, you can try Brine Shrimp and Bloodworms, however neither of which should be used more then 2-3 times a week, especially the Brine Shrimp as it apparently acts like a laxative. Bloodworms are basically like chocolate for people, not really needed but are a great treat from time to time.

Pellets VS Flakes.. well, it's about what you fish wants. I prefer pellets because they are less messy and it's easier to tell how much you are feeding your fish without them getting bloated. BUT some fish won't eat pellets and are just really picky, even if you try soaking them first.

If you are going to use flakes, I prefer Tetra brand Betta flakes. They have little bits of freeze-dried Brine Shrimp mixed in there which is nice. I've only tried acouple different types of flakes and those are my favorite. I don't like the Omega brand when it comes to flakes, they are very large and always look tasteless to me lol.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #5 
BettaLover223

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Pellets are better than Flakes, and should be the Staple Diet.
Freeze-Dried Bloodworm should be only given out as a treat 2-3 times a week.
Good Pellet Brands:
. Hikari
. New Life Spectrum
. Omega One Betta Buffet
And some others that I don't know.
Hope you get the right one!;)
He refuses to eat flakes for some reason but I have Top Fin pelles that he loves and he's probably the greatest eater I've had in a while
Old 05-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #6 
MyRainbowBettaFish

pellets are better. I give my Betta 2 aqueon betta pellets per day, 1 bloodworm every week or every two weeks and fast my betta once a week
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #7 
BettaLover223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Yes, frozen or freeze-dried bloodworms are considered treats, once or twice a week is enough. Since you have freeze-dried bloodworms, remember to pre-soak them so they can expand, not pre-soaking them in advance may cause bloating since the bloodworms will expand while inside the stomach of your Betta.

As Lebron has stated above the best three pellet brands out there are; NLS, Omega One, and Hikari Bio-Gold, or Atison's, but they've discontinued Atison's so it may be a bit hard to find now.
He loves the pellets I tryto stay away from blood worms but he loves them so I'll try to keep that in mind
Old 05-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #8 
BettaLover223

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheese909 View Post
My favorite brand of pellets would be by Aqueon. They seem to be my Bettas favorite type so they are the ones I use the most. Aqueon recently introduced the Color Enhancing type, which I'm also using, I don't know how much better it works color wise because i've only been using it a week or so.

New Life Spectrum also has a Betta type of food, but i'm not sure how well it works I haven't gotten to use it as of yet. I do use their Small Fish Formula for acouple of my Bettas and they seem to really like it as well.

Frozen food is more nutritious, you can try Brine Shrimp and Bloodworms, however neither of which should be used more then 2-3 times a week, especially the Brine Shrimp as it apparently acts like a laxative. Bloodworms are basically like chocolate for people, not really needed but are a great treat from time to time.

Pellets VS Flakes.. well, it's about what you fish wants. I prefer pellets because they are less messy and it's easier to tell how much you are feeding your fish without them getting bloated. BUT some fish won't eat pellets and are just really picky, even if you try soaking them first.

If you are going to use flakes, I prefer Tetra brand Betta flakes. They have little bits of freeze-dried Brine Shrimp mixed in there which is nice. I've only tried acouple different types of flakes and those are my favorite. I don't like the Omega brand when it comes to flakes, they are very large and always look tasteless to me lol.
He eats pellets and the worms and refuses to eat the flakes
Old 05-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

Atison Betta Food and Atison Betta Pro available through the IBC.

Also frozen blood worms and live daphnia.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

I was just going to post that Atison's Betta Pro can be bought through the IBC, and BBC in Canada lol I prefer Pro over the regular Atison's Betta though.

We feed Atison's Betta Pro, Omega One and frozen brine shrimp. I am considering finding another type to add to the mix.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice food betta pellets