Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #11 
Sena Hansler

No, you're right it does look better.

I know that slime coat excess makes everything look worse than it is Eventually you'll get the hang of distinguishing fuzz (fungal) and slime coat Especially if in the future you ever buy a fin rot boy who has excess slime coat on his fins, or even a tail biter :p The key is just clean water - sometimes salt will be needed, like with my little red devil Sasuke.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #12 
Shadyr

I'd just assume no one else has any issues. Hey! I can dream, right?

yeah....Can a bit of slime coat slough off? I noticed a bit of something that made me think that on my son's betta Lavatail last night. So I immediately did a half water change with some AQ salt treated water on him too. Maybe I should stop looking for trouble!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

yes some can come off Some people have said their bettas "shed" their slime coat - mine never have. hey, if we weren't over protective we wouldn't learn anything :)
Old 05-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #14 
Shadyr

Definitely shrinking! This gets me to wondering, since it looks like he's almost healed, when he IS all better, do I do a 100% water change and go back to just conditioned water, no salt? Or would it be better to phase it out, do a few partial changes to gradually get him back to just plain water?

Here's the spot this morning.

Name:  indigoinjury4-1280.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  25.2 KB

And FWIW, here's our patient. He'll sit still and let me take a picture from above all day, but once I drop down and try to get a broadside, off he goes!

Name:  indigo1280.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  46.2 KB
Old 05-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #15 
Sena Hansler

gradually decrease the salt. I would wean it 50% first day, 50% next day, so forth. I wouldn't want him to have his system shocked!!

It definitely was just a missing scale that his body was protecting :)
Old 05-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #16 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
Definitely shrinking! This gets me to wondering, since it looks like he's almost healed, when he IS all better, do I do a 100% water change and go back to just conditioned water, no salt? Or would it be better to phase it out, do a few partial changes to gradually get him back to just plain water?

Here's the spot this morning.

Attachment 55057

And FWIW, here's our patient. He'll sit still and let me take a picture from above all day, but once I drop down and try to get a broadside, off he goes!

Attachment 55058
My betta Lucifer had the same thing happen to him after an otto attack. It sucked off a small section but it healed in 3 days
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #17 
Shadyr

Yeah, this happened Friday night, and the spot is tiny today. I'm glad he's done so well, probably taking it better than me, lol.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #18 
Sena Hansler

sometimes you need to know, right? what IF it was columnaris? sometimes you never know. I just dealt with columnaris (poor little cotton ball) and unfortunately he had another disease along with that and had columnaris for at least a week or two now so he didn't live :(
Old 05-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #19 
Shadyr

Oh no! I'm so sorry As with any living thing, sometimes you do all the right things and it isn't enough. And it's hard. You know, I just don't recall my fish from when I was growing up having anywhere near the personality that bettas do, these guys (and gals) really wiggle their way into your affections, and stay there.

But you are 100% right, it's better to know and take the right steps. Or even just take steps based on a good guess, because doing nothing might have worked out OK for the scale (might have taken longer to heal) but might have had a bad result if it had been something else. Which, given the swamp soup the algae tab had turned his water into at the start of all this, was a very real possibility.

Thank you so much for your guidance. Indigo looks like he's ready for transition back to normal conditions, and he thanks you too!

Name:  indigoinjury5-1280.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  46.5 KB
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

I love bettas who have the spots on their dorsal =D leopard print