Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #11 
BeckyFish97

I agree with Mr.V, lay it on thick with the manager tell them that the fish is real sick and you want to help him, tell him that he won't last much longer and that it was down to the poor care given by his staff etc...actually...don't use that last bit, it will wind him up more than convince him!!!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #12 
Sheldon31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Purchasing isn't rescuing. Another betta will just take his place. I'd make a fuss about it and get him for free.
I second that. Paying full price for him will only show the shop that it's ok to keep fish in that state because some "sucker" will buy it. I would leave him, kick up and fuss and write to the HO about it. If you can, kick up a fuss in store, make it as public as you can so others will think, hmm that girl/guys got a point! They'll probably throw him at you for free just to get rid of you!
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #13 
Tikibirds

It depends on which store he is at. A few people on here have tried that and once they pointed out the fish was sick, the employee/manager put the fish in the back room and wouldn't even let then BUY the fish because "they do not sell sick fish". I think it's petsmart and/or petco that do this - my guess it, it has something to do with their fish warrenty. If he is sick and dies in the store, i do beleive they get credit for the dead fish. If they know he is sick, they give it to you and he dies, they loose out on the credit and they have to replace the dead fish, which ends up costing them. At least that's my guess.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 05-15-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #14 
JKfish

I agree, getting him for free would be a real rescue.

If you decide to get him, please don't rant and rave and act mean. A lot of the workers are simply misinformed. I know a few at the Petsmart that I visit are very open to ideas since I'm polite towards them, and they make changes accordingly. Of course, most simply don't care, but either way it's good to be polite. Acting rude towards any of them will only give bad impressions.

Maybe try to explain to them what they are doing wrong and why. If he's sick, point out that if he stays in their care very much longer, he's going to die. By giving you a sick fish for free, they are saving him from an unhappy death, giving him a chance at a new life, etc. Then maybe point out the fact that he wouldn't sell anyways. No sane person (we fish people aren't exactly sane in their eyes (; ) would actually want a fish on death's door
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #15 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
It depends on which store he is at. A few people on here have tried that and once they pointed out the fish was sick, the employee/manager put the fish in the back room and wouldn't even let then BUY the fish because "they do not sell sick fish".
I had this happen to me. The poor little girl had been beaten half to death (that's what happens when you keep 6 girls in a one gallon tank with no cover), and their solution was to stick her in a bowl of cold water until she got better. Grr. So reporting it is a gamble.

However, I would suggest not saying he is sick but that his conditions are disgraceful and that the shop will kill him if they don't do something. Focus on that rather than his illness. Whatever happens, whether you buy him or not, do kick up a fuss.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #16 
Ianthe

Thanks guys!!! Gaaaahhhhhhh you are really tempting me to go back tomorrow LOL!!!
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #17 
Luimeril

if you want to save him, get the manager there. try to be calm and mature about it. tell him you're not happy with the care, and you want the fish, but won't pay full price for a fish in such a condition. If he/she tries to tell you they won't sell sick fish, demand him for free. tell them they can write 'no warranty' on the receipt if they want to, but you want that fish. don't rant and rave, just make it known that you're not happy with the care the fish are getting. buying him full price isn't rescuing him, it's buying him.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #18 
Danibunkins

I like Luimeril's response. Definitely don't rant and rave, it's not worth it for anyone involved. I deal in CS for a living, and that gets doesn't get anyone anywhere. But I would certainly aim for discount/free based on the fish's condition.
Danibunkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #19 
True Indigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
if you want to save him, get the manager there. try to be calm and mature about it. tell him you're not happy with the care, and you want the fish, but won't pay full price for a fish in such a condition. If he/she tries to tell you they won't sell sick fish, demand him for free. tell them they can write 'no warranty' on the receipt if they want to, but you want that fish. don't rant and rave, just make it known that you're not happy with the care the fish are getting. buying him full price isn't rescuing him, it's buying him.
The sad thing about this is that it depends on the manager. I tried this on a fish once and even attempted to call the district manager. I didn't put up a fuss, but they absolutely refused to make an exception to their policy even when I said I would sign a contract for a no guaranteed warranty. Never happened and the poor guy died in the store. :(

But try nonetheless!
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #20 
Pitluvs

I say if you're willing to take on another Betta and willing to buy him a set up eventually (just not right now)... go for it! But I would complain to the store and ask the manager to hand him over for free or at a highly discounted price. That's how I got my Hughie for $1 when he was regularly $8. Yes, they charged me the $1 which I got 15% off for being a member at a fish club. They're not so bright.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote