Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #11 
sparkyjoe

Have you tried leaving a radio or tv on for him?

As for the drugs, that's why I prefer herbals, they are usually cheaper, don't require a script, and their use can be longer without negative health impacts.

Really exhausting the little rugger can help.

Have you figured out whether the dog likes ANY treats? Sometimes you even have to try "human" foods like cold cuts or pieces of real meat. Hopefully you can find that special treat that will work.

Yeah, it's tough. I think my dog had been sooo used to being surrounded by the breeder's other dogs and had that "crutch" when the breeder wasn't around she was never really alone.

Patience, patience, patience.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #12 
Enkil

They make "sweaters" for anxiety dogs. They work well. They advertise them for dogs that have anxiety when it comes to things like storms, but they work well for any kind of anxiety.

For separation anxiety:
Before your dog is left alone, make sure to tire him out! Either with a brisk walk, jog, or playing a game with him such as fetch.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #13 
CaseyA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Only problem with drugging is it is expensive here, and the dog can only use it for 90 days until it becomes dangerous to their health :( we looked it up for my dad's dog.
And the little poopr ignores peanut butter and treats and toys x.x (geesh he makes it hard). Basically his "mental exercise" is people which is bad because that is what caused the SA
Don't limit yourself to "dog" treats. Try string cheese, small pieces of cooked hamburger or other meat, a fingertip of yogurt, anything that your dog will stop what he's doing and give you the "please????" look! Sometimes you have to experiment to find that high-value treat.

I don't usually hawk books but this one was a HUGE help for us in training our dog. If you're serious about retraining the dog I'd highly recommend it. She writes a chapter on separation anxiety and potty training older dogs, and other common dog problems.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Power-Posi...7192987&sr=8-1

Last edited by CaseyA; 05-16-2012 at 01:36 PM.
CaseyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #14 
Enkil

For treats...

With it being hot, something you might try is freezing chicken broth into ice cubes! Most dogs just can't say no to chicken broth. Freezing it in an ice cube tray gives them a nice tasty treat that helps cool them off. I do this for my puppy. I give him one or two in his bowl. This keeps you from having a mess on the floor.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

Only problem with human food, is once he has some he WON'T eat his own food he's sucha pain in my bum He got into the garbage yesterday after the little magician found a fault in the crate (fixed THAT) and ate the garbage so now he won't eat x.x

Although the chicken broth ice cubes may work... :)

Enkil: sweaters?? o.o never heard of them. It's funny how the dog who was beat so badly in his old home (even his one leg is distorted funny) NEEDS to be around the very creatures that beat him
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #16 
Enkil

Dogs have been bred over centuries to be like that. They are eternally loyal creatures. We made them to be by our sides as our constant companions and protectors.

Vest for anxiety: http://www.thundershirt.com/?gclid=C...FQ-Ahwod93r7mw

You can also type in "dog anxiety vest" into google and find more.

Also, you can use aromatherapy to help with anxiety.
http://www.dog-first-aid-101.com/aro...-your-dog.html

I really like this one:
http://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/200...omatherapy.php
http://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/200...y_for_dogs.php
I prefer lavender as I really like the scent myself. This scent has worked for me in the past.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

hmmm thanks :)

we had tried chamomile tea for my dad's dog but since she is severe (she broke her teeth on the doorknob, destroyed a kennel, a crate, attacks the littler dog, pees and poops everywhere, howls, barks, whines, to a point she can no longer BARK she is so hoarse :( ) it never worked. Maybe it might for Gurgi!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #18 
Enkil

I never did tea. I used the essential oils on the skin, massaging them in. Also used as a spritzer on bedding.
The good thing with using it is that you can also find air fresheners that give off the scents as well. Or even candles.

Could try doing a combination of these things. Maybe some aroma therapy and vigorous exercise.

With the chicken broth ice cubes...
I don't give Fenris many of these or too often. The last couple of days it has been hot. We don't have AC and he's black brindle. So I've been giving him 1-2 as a nice cool treat. He really appreciates them and it's better for dogs than other things (ice cream).
Yogurt/frozen yogurt would work as well and wouldn't be bad for him in small amounts.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #19 
CaseyA

Have you tried Rescue Remedy in conjunction with your training program? I have a friend who rescues, rehabilitates and finds new homes for dogs and she swears by it.
CaseyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #20 
sparkyjoe

Yes, I wanted to mention that I heard good things about this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Leave-Step---S...7196312&sr=8-1

OH! And "confidence building" through positive training. Particularly the "sit-stay" and "down-stay". The training builds the human/animal bond as well as helping the dog learn that he can be ok when not next to your side.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote