Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #21 
Sena Hansler

I have to avoid air fresheners because of my guinea piggie :3
So I'd have to find just the essence, herb, etc which isn't too hard around here.

Rescue Remedy? -looking that up-

Yeah I've been getting him to sit before he eats (not that he will eat today ) and staying at the top of the stairs when I go down them.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #22 
BeckyFish97

For the seperation anxiety:Put him in a room, tell him to sit, and stay (if he knows those commands) and then shut the door.Wait 10 seconds, open the door, if he peed, don't shout, clean it up and try again.(sounds crazy I know)
Once he does this for 10 seconds without peeing, then try 20 seconds, then 30 and so on, work on it daily until you can leave him for as long as you need to.This way he learns that you're always coming back!
For the general anxiety:When he gets wound up, try and see if there is anything in the room he is trying to avoid, or looking at constantly.What time does he do it at?Random times?or one time on certain days, or every day at the same time?Something will be triggering it, if he is from an abusive home, then it is likely it is an everyday object that he is scared of, or something that he sees as a signal that something bad is going to happen!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #23 
Sena Hansler

the general anxiety he is just terrified of toys. That and he KNOWS he did something bad so he'll cower or slink away.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #24 
sparkyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Only problem with human food, is once he has some he WON'T eat his own food he's sucha pain in my bum He got into the garbage yesterday after the little magician found a fault in the crate (fixed THAT) and ate the garbage so now he won't eat x.x

Although the chicken broth ice cubes may work... :)

Enkil: sweaters?? o.o never heard of them. It's funny how the dog who was beat so badly in his old home (even his one leg is distorted funny) NEEDS to be around the very creatures that beat him
OK, believe me when I say that a dog will NEVER starve itself to death when food is available. Well, I'm not one for absolutes, so maybe I'm 99.9% sure of this. You just have to be willing to out stubborn the dog. Do your best to stick to a strict feeding schedule; unless there is a medical reason you never leave food in the bowl all day long. Put it down for 10-15 minutes then PICK IT UP AND PUT IT AWAY. Just like our hearty betta fish a healthy dog will not starve to death over a few days of not eating. Hopefully once the dog learns that food is available only for short times then it will eat. Don't over feed the treat foods and fill the dog up, but don't cave! Think of it this way... once a dog learns that you will *upgrade* their food options if they are pathetic enough, or can just wait long enough, then they win that battle.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #25 
Sena Hansler

pfft he won't eat the treats anyways I have told everyone to NEVER EVER GIVE MY DOG PEOPLE FOOD. Last time that happened he wouldn't eat for a few days -facepalm- so I made that rule clear haha. But since he got into the garbage I guess THAT was his dinner I do take away the food. he doesn't eat it, it goes away.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #26 
sparkyjoe

Exactly. This is not directed at you, just a personal thing, but I've grown to dislike to use the term "people food" because when you're talking whole foods (not processed, chemical filled junk), then food is just food. Not that long ago, at least in the US, dog kibble didn't exist, or was not used much because folks just fed their pets scraps. These scraps were just the left over meats, veggies, grains, and things like soup bones from the kitchen.

Don't be afraid to experiment with high value treats, heck maybe even try the smelly junk like Bacon Bits to see if your dog will take them. It's all about careful starts and patience.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #27 
BeckyFish97

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyjoe View Post
OK, believe me when I say that a dog will NEVER starve itself to death when food is available. Well, I'm not one for absolutes, so maybe I'm 99.9% sure of this. You just have to be willing to out stubborn the dog. Do your best to stick to a strict feeding schedule; unless there is a medical reason you never leave food in the bowl all day long. Put it down for 10-15 minutes then PICK IT UP AND PUT IT AWAY. Just like our hearty betta fish a healthy dog will not starve to death over a few days of not eating. Hopefully once the dog learns that food is available only for short times then it will eat. Don't over feed the treat foods and fill the dog up, but don't cave! Think of it this way... once a dog learns that you will *upgrade* their food options if they are pathetic enough, or can just wait long enough, then they win that battle.

This one !ALWAYS! works!!!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #28 
Sena Hansler

I got him the wheat, corn and by-product free treats because well....healthy. But noooo I got him bones, but nooo... I got him those "bad for them because they are smoked and coated" bones, and he loved it xD
Old 05-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #29 
LittleBettaFish

With correct training the crate is meant to be a happy place. Ours sits in the kitchen and our two females still go in and sleep in there without any prompting from us. It's a shame that it seems like the crate was made a bad place by his previous owners as it can be such a great training tool.

Both our female GSs were crate-trained as puppies and it made a world of difference in how quickly they were to housebreak. As most dogs will not soil where they sleep, they will have to let you know when they need to go out to the toilet. However, this will not work if he was allowed to soil in a crate at his old home as is the case with pet store puppies, they quickly lose the natural instinct to keep the 'den' and themselves clean.

Does he soil in the crate? If not, I'd read up on how to correctly crate train (particularly with anxious dogs) and start from scratch. If he gets anxious in the crate, ignore it. If you respond to his anxiety by taking him out and making as fuss he will soon learn that by whining and carrying on he gets what he wants. If you scold him for being scared it will only reinforce the idea that the crate is not a nice place to be.

My dad's dog had severe separation anxiety as in he would climb over the back fence and escape until my dad put up electric fencing. He is slowly getting better as he is allowed to be in with us if he is calm, but as soon as he starts getting frantic or trying to climb all over us he is taken out into the laundry and left there until he settles. Eventually he learned that if he is quiet and doesn't get clingy he can spend time with us in the house as a reward.

I believe with overly anxious dogs the NILF system (Nothing In Life Is Free) is good because it clearly defines the rules which fearful dogs find comforting. I would google NILF and see if you could apply it to your current situation.

I would also teach the 'look' command. We do it by holding food in front of the dog and then bringing it up to our face and saying the word 'look' while we hold the food there for a few seconds. Eventually you just need to say 'look' and our dogs will sit in front of you (well our male sometimes won't the turd) and focus their attention on you. This is a great method for focusing dogs and making them look to you for guidance and leadership.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #30 
Sena Hansler

yyyeeeaaahhhh big pee puddle, and I gave him water because it IS hot outside (I may never do this again x.x) and he pooped and peed in it :/ He doesn't have WALKING space, but he has turning around and getting comfy, space.

I've made him go in the crate while I am home, so he lays there and can see me.