Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #21 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I've discussed this cordially and at length with the regional manage of Petco (who assures me that Petsmart has a similar policy). They are not authorized to discount fish, especially if it appears unhealthy. They get reimbursed if the fish dies.

They won't sell sick fish in the event it infects your tank and spreads disease to other livestock. The fact that this makes no sense when applied to Betta is not a consideration for hide-bound, inflexible, bottom-line, beancounting corporate types.

If you like the fish, buy it. Fish are cheap. If it dies within the warranty period, you'll get another fish or get credit.

Don't humiliate yourself and get a bad reputation by wheedling and whining. But do write a scathing letter to corporate HQ complaining about conditions. And DO mention the manager by name.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #22 
Bombalurina

Do you know how much they get back? 100%?

What a horrible policy. :(
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #23 
TheCheese909

Petco can (depending on the store) give you a discount on sick/injured fish. I've gotten 2 that were sick and they give you $2-4 off. But we have also tried to rescue sick Bettas from other Petcos and they wouldn't let us take them. We got them anyway even though we had to pay full price.

PetSmart can and will give you the fish for free if he looks sick in anyway. I've gotten acouple from there as well. :)

Get him. :)
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #24 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
That's what I was told. Although he wouldn't tell me what the fish cost them, I inferred that it was small change. Betta take an inordinate amount of time compared to most fish. You wouldn't believe it by looking at someof them, but there you go.

Quote:
Couldn't agree with you more. Hey, it's just business (to them). People like that wreak a great deal more havoc in the world than letting a few fish die. <sigh>
Old 05-17-2012, 12:38 AM   #25 
Hallyx
Reference Team

@ TheCheese

Bless the minions who are willing to ignore corporate policy in the interest of humanity.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #26 
jeffegg2

Cool

I would just ask to see the manager. Have them clean up his little bowl... If you just buy him to rescue him, you might as well camp out there because there will be a lot to take his place. You'll be rescuing every week!!! That'll take a lot of tanks.

Just complain and hopefully they'll clean up their act. Claim membership with PETA and tell them if they don't clean up their act you'll have a demonstration in front of the store!

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:43 AM   #27 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:

The way they buy them in bulk from Thailand, they only cost the company pennies... They only sell them so you buy their Betta junk...

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #28 
Tikibirds

Quote:
However, I would suggest not saying he is sick but that his conditions are disgraceful and that the shop will kill him if they don't do something. Focus on that rather than his illness.
That might work if you insist on getting him for free/discounted price.
If it was me, I would keep my mouth shut and buy the fish due to the possibility that the manager or whoever may say no. I could probably of gotten away with discounted fish from the petco in Fairbanks, Alaska as I was there almost everyday with my dog and they all know him, and most of them were friendly (not the fish lady though). However, I would not risk it with the one here. They don't know me and they seem more by the book then the other petco. Plus, the one time i did interact with an employee to get a snail, he was rude and would not give me the yellow apple snail I wanted and told me I had to take the big black one he fished out..and something about them all being boring so it dosen't really matter which one I got. I wanted the yellow one because I have dark blue sand and I would be able to see the snail in the tank. I can't ever find the black guy in there That experience just gave me a bad vibe about the whole place...

anyone know if walmart gets credit for dead fish? I think they do...

Last edited by Tikibirds; 05-17-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:02 AM   #29 
TheCheese909

PetSmart has an adoption policy. You have to sign a paper saying you will not take the animal to any media or anything like that, and if the fish (or other animal) dies you cannot get your money back exc.

Simply ask for the manager or tell the person in the fish department that the fish is ill and that you would like to adopt it.

I had to do this with my Jasper fish, he was one of their Dragonscale Bettas and had been there for over a week and was missing an eye. I told the fish department lady that I wanted to adopt him and all i had to do was sign the paper.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:06 AM   #30 
Tikibirds

Did you get a discount for him with the adoption paper or was he still full price?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote