Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #1 
FishyFishy89
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
what do you think?

I believe a lot of yall have doggies.

I'm reading some really good reviews on this product. And I'd like a natural alternative to Emma's flea preventative. Especially since her itching cleared up by 90% when I didn't apply her Advantage this month.

Only Natural Pet Brewer's Yeast & Garlic Dog & Cat Supplement

Like? Dislike? Why? Personal experience? What do you use?
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #2 
Laki
Member
 
Laki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. John's NL
It seems like a nice holistic remedy. Honestly, I gave my dog Apple Cider vinegar with "mother" in his food every day. It makes his coat shiny, balances pH in his belly and wards off fleas. Garlic shouldn't be given to cats so this product seems a bit fishy. But I would use it on my dog (not that I have one currently)..
Alternatively, you can just sprinkle real garlic powder or fresh garlic on his meal once a day.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #3 
FishyFishy89
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
It seems like a nice holistic remedy. Honestly, I gave my dog Apple Cider vinegar with "mother" in his food every day. It makes his coat shiny, balances pH in his belly and wards off fleas. Garlic shouldn't be given to cats so this product seems a bit fishy. But I would use it on my dog (not that I have one currently)..
Alternatively, you can just sprinkle real garlic powder or fresh garlic on his meal once a day.
Has this suggested several times.
But my pug goes off her nose ALOT. And if something smells funky she won't eat it.
She wouldn't eat the salmon oil but she'll eat the fish oil
she won't eat chicken, lamb or beef dog food, but she'll eat fish, duck, turkey, or deer dog food
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #4 
Laki
Member
 
Laki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. John's NL
lol, oh! Picky little thing!
You know those Greenies treat things? (I think they make them for dogs but if not just use the cat ones) I think they're called greenie pockets. Anyway, you could hide a bit of apple cider in there and close the top. Make her sit or do a trick and then praise her for eating it.

My dog wasn't that picky at all so I don't know what else to say!! lol Garlic is a good natural flea/tick remedy though.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #5 
FishyFishy89
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
lol, oh! Picky little thing!
You know those Greenies treat things? (I think they make them for dogs but if not just use the cat ones) I think they're called greenie pockets. Anyway, you could hide a bit of apple cider in there and close the top. Make her sit or do a trick and then praise her for eating it.

My dog wasn't that picky at all so I don't know what else to say!! lol Garlic is a good natural flea/tick remedy though.
Yeah. Their called Pill Pockets.
She hates the greenie chewies, I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't like the Pill Pockets.
PUGS AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE PICKY!!! Their supposed to be PIGGY**pouts**
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #6 
Laki
Member
 
Laki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. John's NL
lol MY dog could be tricked into eating anything if I made him do a trick for it. "sit, paw, other paw, good boy!!" gives him a pill wrapped in cheese.
Will she eat cheese? Not the slices (bc with chunks you can push the pill deep into it). My dog didn't care if there was poison on cheese, he wanted it.

o.O Then again, he used to eat cupcake paper liners out of the garbage......


Good luck!! Just keep trying to get them in her (the pills, if you have them). Could always force them down her throat and then give her a treat. The cat pill pockets are like kitty crack. Speaking of crack, dried beef lung. Dried beef lung is the dog crack of crack. I'd be surprised if your dog didn't want it.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #7 
Hopeseeker
Member
 
Hopeseeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Washington State
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Has this suggested several times.
But my pug goes off her nose ALOT. And if something smells funky she won't eat it.
She wouldn't eat the salmon oil but she'll eat the fish oil
she won't eat chicken, lamb or beef dog food, but she'll eat fish, duck, turkey, or deer dog food
My boyfriend's parents have a pug....she's very picky! Only eats wet food and can't be beef! She's really spoiled! And she only likes certain dog treats/toys....I think she thinks she is human, in a pug's body....but, then again I think Brandon's parents raise picky eaters.....I live with him and he's one of the pickiest eaters that I've ever been around...lol!

Last edited by Hopeseeker; 05-22-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #8 
FishyFishy89
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeseeker View Post
My boyfriend's parents have a pug....she's very picky! Only eats wet food and can't be beef! She's really spoiled! And she only likes certain dog treats/toys....I think she thinks she is human, in a pug's body....but, then again I think Brandon's parents raise picky eaters.....I live with him and he's one of the pickiest eaters that I've ever been around...lol!
LOL
ive never EVER had a picky dog.
my dogs ate what was given to them. no ifs ands or buts about it. Emma is even picky about her water. it HAS to be filtered. not from the tap. she wont drink if it is from the tap o.O

my cat is only picky about her beds and thats it

my doberman and golden lab, theyd pee on the 1st blade of grass their paws touched. my pug, she'll actually get into position and then suddenly decide she doesn't wanna go there. she'll do this 3-4 times....sometimes even more
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #9 
doggyhog
Member
 
doggyhog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In the middle of no where (PA)
I swear by apple cider vinegar. I spray it on my dog (with a little water added) and she barely gets any ticks (I live in a rural area with lots of ticks) and hasn't had any issues with fleas. I sometimes add it to her water too and it keeps the parasites away in addition to her monthly wormer. I haven't had good success with products like K9 advantix because they made Darcy sick. The vet doesn't really agree with the fact that I don't want to put chemicals on my dog but it is so much better for her in the long run. IMO just go with what works best for your dog. Some things work well for some and don't for others.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:44 AM   #10 
FishyFishy89
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
I swear by apple cider vinegar. I spray it on my dog (with a little water added) and she barely gets any ticks (I live in a rural area with lots of ticks) and hasn't had any issues with fleas. I sometimes add it to her water too and it keeps the parasites away in addition to her monthly wormer. I haven't had good success with products like K9 advantix because they made Darcy sick. The vet doesn't really agree with the fact that I don't want to put chemicals on my dog but it is so much better for her in the long run. IMO just go with what works best for your dog. Some things work well for some and don't for others.
apple cider vinegar?
how much per cup (or oz or gallon) of water?
How often do you reapply?

I ended up giving Emma her Advantage last night because I didn't want her getting anything. And today she has been going at it to her bum :'(
I'm not sure how the solution is affecting her butt mainly. I apply it right behind her skull.
I've never had any issues with Advantage or Advantix. BUT my dogs were born when there weren't millions n millions of backyard breeders.
Emma was only born about 3 years ago. No doubt whom ever bred her momma, they weren't looking to improve the breed :P
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.