Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #21 
Sakura8

Even a dwarf gourami will only get 3 inches so it won't outgrow the Edge or get stunted. As Olympia said though, it might get territorial.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #22 
Micho

Gouramis are social beings right? So they'll need a pair in order to thrive? Or can one do just fine on it's own like Bettas?
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #23 
Sakura8

I think one can do fine on its own. I read that honey gouramis like to be in pairs but it has to be male/female or the males will get territorial.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #24 
Micho

In that case I might just get a Dwarf Gourami, or will he be too big? They're only 1 inch bigger than the Honeys, the reason why is that pretty sure there's no females for the Honeys or I'll be more than happy to snatch up a pair.

I should look at my LFS before buying the Honeys anyways, I might find that they might have Honey Gouramis in stock too. c:
Old 05-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #25 
Sakura8

Pitluvs has (or had) just one dwarf gourami and it seemed to do okay. Most stores only stock the males because they're prettier.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:49 AM   #26 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You'd be hard pressed to find females of either type..
Think of gourami almost like a peaceful betta.. It's totally fine on it's own, or with some females, but 2 males need enough room to have their own territories.
Dwarf gourami are really active, which is why I say they need more space, but if you got one by mistake I'm sure it'd be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #27 
Micho

Hrm, where do I even begin.

So yesterday I went to Home Depot, I found MiracleGro Organic Choice Potting Mix and Quikrete Playsand, took awhile though. Went to my LFS, they had really good plants in for a cheap price, got two bundles of Crypts for $5 (should have bought more), got some Camboda, along with an Anubias. Along with that buy I stupidly made the choice to buy more fish, I got more Pygmy Cories to bump up then numbers, along with a Dwarf Gourami to put in my new Fluval Edge. I tried to look for a pair of Honey Gouramis but they only had males so I made the choice for the Dwarf.

Here's the bad part now, I starting converting my 10g into a NPT, it was easy enough, getting the gravel out was really annoying so I just dumped it all into the backyard. I got my soil and put too much in there, around 2 inches or so, here's the thing though I didn't cap it enough with the sand. So while I was filling my tank up the sand got moved because the current was too strong, and I was even using a siphon to siphon in the water, so therefore the soil got exposed. I tried my best and covered the spots with more sand where the soil was noticeable, and after quickly planting, and filling up the whole tank, it became a mess.

I had to put my fish in because they were getting cold in the bucket and I had nowhere else to put them, big mistake. I could see they were gasping, and I quickly reacted with doing 2 50% water changes right away, no luck the water was still was cloudy and they were still gasping for their lives. I didn't know what to do so I pumped more water conditioner into there and tested the water parameters everything came up as 0, so I just assumed that they were settling in.

Then I started on my Edge, this was less troublesome, I capped the soil with a lot of sand, but some soil still got exposed but not as much as my 10g. Planted it with lots of Crypts, Camboda and the Anubias. Acclimated my new Gourami buddy, and I could also see that he was gasping a bit, but not that much, did a 50% water change and hope to God he would calm down.

Woke up this morning and went to check on my tanks, my 10g two of my Rummynose have died, along with a Pygmy Cory. I was really saddened, these fish had died because of me being impatient. I had to run because of dance practice, when I came back one more Pygmy Cory was dead along with this White Cloud Minnow I had that my friend gave me. I did two more 50% water changes on the 10g and the water is now clearer but still cloudy, I'm glad that my Plakat boy didn't die. The Gourami is still alive though, which I really hoped for. I did a 60% water change on the Edge, and the water is now clearer too.

Now I'm scared to change my 2.5g into a NPT. I might do it tomorrow and do it slowly and cap it with tons of sand. Sigh, I dunno.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #28 
Sakura8

I'm sorry, Micho, but don't be so hard on yourself. One time when I tore my NPT down to remove the soil, I forgot to put dechlorinator in the emergency holding tank for the fish. By the end of the day, I lost 7 fish, including cories, rummynoses, and neons. These things happen to every hobbyist. We all make mistakes.

I found that when working with soil and sand, the best way to put water in is to place a plastic ziplock bag flat on the surface. It needs to be a pretty big bag, like a gallon/quart size. Then slowly pour the water in over the bag. It keeps the water pressure from dislodging so many things.

If the water gets really cloudy after a change, one thing you can do aside from another water change is to put an airstone in. The fish are gasping because they need oxygen and the airstone will help with that.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #29 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

It isn't safe to stock immediately with soil based tanks, they usually give off incredibly high ammonia readings for a couple weeks. I've heard some bad things about soil tanks so I'll never try one, especially with sensitive species. :/
That really sucks. Poor fish. I lost my pygmy cory too (though I think he died of lonliness- could never find more). :(
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #30 
Micho

Thanks Sakura.

The ziplock back trick is a nice one, I shall remember that, probably will use it tomorrow with my 2.5g. To be honest I thought they were gasping because of the soil being exposed and making the water toxic. Which is why I did the 2 50% water changes, sigh. I just went to check on the tanks, everything seems fine now the deaths have stopped I hope. I'm about to go around with a chopstick and start poking at the soil to aerate it since I have no MTS.

Yeah Olympia, soil based tanks can give off lots of ammonia during the first week or so, but I've been testing my water and there's no ammonia reading, I guess the plants are doing their jobs and soaking up all that ammonia up. I think the cause of death was simply because of shock and lack of oxygen. I think I didn't acclimate the fish correctly and dumped them in too quickly.

Right now I'm sitting at 4 Rummynose Tetras, 6 Pygmy Cories, 1 Balloon Molly, and my Plakat boy. I'm considering on how to re-stock this tank. Before I got my Tetras I didn't know about water hardness, and my water is quite hard, so I'm wondering if I should wait for the Tetras to die out first and get some other type of fish or add more to make a proper shoal.

Along with this issue, my sister doesn't like the fact that my RCS tank has just RCS, so I might have to house a Betta in it so that there's an actual fish in it. So many issues.