Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #11 
True Indigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
Yes I took my time acclimating him over 45 mins. Other than the high filter flow and possibly the salt water aquarium, I did notice when I first put him in, he would see his reflection in the glass of the aquarium for the first day, now he totally ignores it. If that is the problem, I have no idea how to rectify that problem, bar keeping a blanket over the tank in order to keep him in constant darkness lol.
In terms of the reflection problem, putting a non-shiny blank piece of paper around his tank might fix that. My rescue was flaring at his reflection in the filter base behind the glass. All I had to do was shove a bit of paper there and it worked.

Gyarados (pictured) is very sensitive to reflective surfaces and will flare and stress out all the time if he sees even the closest reflective surface outside of his tank. So I just remove that or put it behind something non-reflective.
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #12 
Wasabi

Yeah, I don't think that his reflection is an issue any more, since he completely ignores it. Even if I place a mirror in front of him, all he does is try to swim around it and does not even flare up so he doesn't seem like he is stressed because of that.

I just don't know if clamped fins like the ones in my picture mean he is stressed or is beginning to develop fin rot.
Wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #13 
laoshun

look closely and if it continues i would do AQ salt treatments because my old old crowntail had this happen to him.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #14 
TheCheese909

laoshun is right, if it's fin rot then you'll want to do an Aquarium Salt treatment- i recommend doing one of those before trying medications. But watch him first, it could be as simple as him just now becoming unhappy or stressed out in his new home.

Do you have plenty of plants for him to lay and hide in? It's hard to tell from those two pictures. If not you'll want to try and get him some silk plants or live ones if you're good at taking care of live plants. I don't recommend plastic as they very very easily tear up fins of a Betta.

If you need to do an Aquarium Salt treatment try putting him in a 1 gallon container with 1 teaspoon of the salt and a cap full or two cap fulls of Stress Coat. I like to add an airstone with a bubbler and a valve to keep the water moving slightly so the bad bacteria doesn't set in- and the valve of course is just so the water doesn't push him around too much.
You'll want to change his water daily with the same treatment and make sure the salt is completely dissolved before placing him in the tank.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #15 
Wasabi

Cool, thank you all for all the info!

His fins seem a bit better today. Still a bit kinked and stringy, but at least the are more open. I am guessing TheCheese909 was right and it was probably just stress. He has 2 Anubias pants he likes to hide under and a log he goes in time to time.

The pet store I went to didn't have any stress coat, so I just got him some Nutrafin Betta Plus, sice it has almond leaf extract.

Thanks again!
Wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #16 
TheCheese909

I'm glad he seems to be feeling better :) Keep an eye out for the Stress Coat, it really comes in handy.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #17 
Kim

Looks like he may be a little bloated in the second picture. Is he pooping ok? Also, not that this would necessarily make him look so miserable, but if you have hard water it can cause the rays of a CT to curl.
Kim is online now   Reply With Quote