Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #1 
GhostFeather

plastic wrap

How long do you keep the tank covered with plastic wrap?
Thanks
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #2 
Leeniex

I have one covered 100% of the time, but I have a feeding hole so there is an exchange of air. It's a Kritter Keeper. You'll also need a hole for the heater, so there's that too.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Your goal with using plastic wrap is to retain the heat and humidity over the water.....It is important for that air to be warm and moist especially for fry when they first develop their labyrinth organ in the 3-5 week age range.

It is also important for adult fish- if the air above the water is too cool and dry they can become symptomatic-labyrinth organ symptom are a lot like swim bladder symptom.

Often the hood or cover on the tank is enough for adult Betta-but developing fry need higher humidity-you can have mass die off and/or see a lot of floaters with too cool/dry air over the water-that first breath of air is really important for our developing fry......

I keep the plastic wrap over my fry tanks all the time-especially in the summer with the AC running-in the winter months the air is warmer but its dry.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote