Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #1 
KarlaThompson

New to Betta Fish??

Hi, I have just recently recieved a betta as a gift im not sure of gender and im also not sure on exactly how to care for it. I have a nice size bowl and also just bought a vase im a little confused as I read a post about the vases being unsafe, is this true? Also what about feeding, and are frogs ok to keep with them? Any help will be great!
Thanks!
KarlaThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

What size is your bowl? Definitely don't go for a vase - bettas need containers that are wide and shallow, rather than tall and deep, as they breathe from the surface.

What you will need to keep a happy healthy betta:
- a tank or bowl or at least one gallon (more is always better)
- a 10-25watt heater (they need water between 78 and 82F)
- dechlorinator (I suggest Prime, by Seachem)
- a lid for your tank or bowl (bettas can and do jump)
- a plant and/or a cave for your betta to hide in
You can also get a filter if you like, but you'll also be fine without. :)

For any unfiltered tank, you want to do one 50% water change and one 100% water change per week. After a 100% change, reacclimatise your betta to the new water slowly. :)

Unless you have the tail-type called plakat, you can usually look at a betta's fins to determine gender. Long, flowy fins generally indicate male - short fins are usually female. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #3 
KarlaThompson

thanks so much im not sure of the bowl size it is a he according to his fins and he was gifted and really wasnt cared for when i got him he hadnt been feed in a long time and his bowl was super dirty. I feed him but he doesnt seem to want to eat the betta fish food i bought. As far as jumping out so far we havent had any problems (fingers crossed). I bought him a frog its an African Dwarf and the pet store said they should get along I am picking the frog up tomorro so I will have to see how things really go thanks again for the help!
KarlaThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #4 
jeffegg2

Cool

It is natural for a Betta to not eat while getting used to a new home.

Both the underwater frog and the Betta are tropical and will do best in a heated tank.

The smallest for the two I would recommend is a 3 gallon.

Good Luck,
Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I would strongly advise that you do not get a frog until you have at least a 5 gallon heated tank, or both the betta and the frog will be too cold and together will create a lot of mess and dirty the water.
That will also help with his appetite - warm water is a great encouragement to eat.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #6 
thekoimaiden

Bomba has given you some great suggestion. Especially the one about not adding anything more to the tank until you have established a good home for your betta. This is very important. Dropping a frog into an unfit home could kill him.

About your betta's loss of appetite, it's probably the cold water and change of scenery. Warm water is going to be the best thing for him right now.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:28 AM   #7 
Sheldon31

I second that. ADF's can be very sensitive to bad water conditions and need the warm water to survive. If you do get a frog make sure 100% that it's a dwarf frog and not the clawed frog.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #8 
Shadyr

On the ADF's....they seem to be very sensitive to water conditions and in the case of the sole survivor of our frog experiment, a pain to feed. How they survive in the wild boggles my mind.

I hope your new fish perks up with care!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #9 
Fluval

Read the sticky thread..
Fluval is offline   Reply With Quote