Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #1 
teeneythebetta
Member
 
teeneythebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Best non-aquarium decorations that are safe?

I'm going to walmart.. Gonna pick up a terra-cotta pot for my betta's 10 gal... What other decorations that aren't meant for fish tanks are safe? I really want a natural theme in my tank. Thanks :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #2 
Spazzfish
Member
 
Spazzfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The part of Texas that never gets snow
Pieces of pettrified wood love the stuff :)... If you can find it...
Spazzfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #3 
ZubinBetta
Member
 
ZubinBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
I have heard that metals should be avoided for these purposes. If you get stones, make sure there are no sharp surfaces. Wood would appear to be at least potentially problematic, because of resins leaching, and it would likely not stay put unless of high specific gravity. Shells are probably a good choice, though something like a conch shell could trap a betta, curious as they are.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #4 
Tikibirds
Member
 
Tikibirds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Warrensburg, NY
Coffee mugs
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #5 
Bombalurina
Member
 
Bombalurina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Slate. Using aquarium safe glue, you can make some pretty awesome slate structures. You can also glue pebbles and sand to the outside of PVC pipes. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #6 
wystearya
Member
 
wystearya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WV
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZubinBetta View Post
I have heard that metals should be avoided for these purposes. If you get stones, make sure there are no sharp surfaces. Wood would appear to be at least potentially problematic, because of resins leaching, and it would likely not stay put unless of high specific gravity. Shells are probably a good choice, though something like a conch shell could trap a betta, curious as they are.
Be careful with shells. They can leach minerals into the water.

Also, some rocks/stones are safe and some are not. I've been too afraid to use any because I have no idea what is and is not safe. :/
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta
Member
 
teeneythebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Slate. Using aquarium safe glue, you can make some pretty awesome slate structures. You can also glue pebbles and sand to the outside of PVC pipes. :)
Ooh I really like the slate structure idea Thanks!
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #8 
Kim
Member
 
Kim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wystearya View Post
Be careful with shells. They can leach minerals into the water.

Also, some rocks/stones are safe and some are not. I've been too afraid to use any because I have no idea what is and is not safe. :/
Yeah..I researched this once and it ended up being so complex I decided to just scrap the idea of trying to find my own rocks ;)
With the terracotta pots, you can make some neat decorations by making holes in them, breaking them apart, and using silicone to glue them together. I've also seen the pvc structures- kinda neat. You can even silicone silk plants to them as well.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aquarium Decorations Safe or Toxic? Aus Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 23 03-28-2012 12:46 PM
Fish Safe Decorations? Lauren85 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 7 10-21-2010 07:09 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.