Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #1 
xfeejayx

Is this velvet?

This is the first fish I've ever taken care of, so please go easy on me. His name is Baloo. My gf has had him for about 2 months. She's out of town for a few weeks, and I've taken a real liking to the little guy.

He's in a 1 gallon bowl, no live plants, no filter or heater or anything. Water conditioner is used.

He was active and eating well until about 3-4 days ago. He then started just staying at the bottom and not even caring about food.

I started reading a couple days ago and realized he's probably got ammonia/nitrite/nitrate poisoning (see pic). Water changes sound like the best way to at least stop that, correct? Water was poorly taken care of prior to a couple days ago. I did a 90+% water change 2 days ago and again yesterday. I also added aquarium salt to help him out. After the first water change he became active again, and even more so after yesterday's change.

He's trying to eat again, but he spits out the food often. He's always been fed the same dry pellets since we've had him. Should i be changing up his diet?

What I'm more worried about is the red that's developing down the long fins that hang down. It wasn't as red or as prominent before. He's also got some gold under his head, and at the base of the fins to the side of his head. I don't know if the gold was there before (never inspected so close), but don't remember the red being as far spread as it is. I've read about velvet, but I might just be paranoid here.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by xfeejayx; 05-19-2012 at 12:45 PM.
xfeejayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #2 
xShainax

It does look like velvet. I am sorry, and don't worry about being new to keeping fish. I am still learning about taking care of them
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #3 
xfeejayx

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Velvet isn't the end of the world. It can be treated, especially if caught early. I just want to put him through treatment for something he doesn't have. Any other opinions on the velvet?

Water checks out pretty good. Only issue is ammonia at .25. I'll keep changing water to address that.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #4 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfeejayx View Post
Hey, thanks for the reply.

Velvet isn't the end of the world. It can be treated, especially if caught early. I just want to put him through treatment for something he doesn't have. Any other opinions on the velvet?

Water checks out pretty good. Only issue is ammonia at .25. I'll keep changing water to address that.
here is a website about velvet and treating it

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/velvet.htm
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #5 
xfeejayx

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
here is a website about velvet and treating it

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/velvet.htm
your reply came right in time. I was looking up the thrad while at petsmart. The link has me pretty convinced it is velvet. Will change water again and start on copper sulphate treatment.

Thanks!!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #6 
xfeejayx

He's getting worse. I imagine that is normal with velvet treatment, worse before better? Doing almost daily water change with conditioner, salt, and Cooper sulfate. Not sure what else I can do now. Just gotta wait and hope?

Old 05-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #7 
MaisyDawgThirteen

You NEED a heater. Bettas are a tropical fish who like temps of 76-83F.

I'm not sure about the velvet treatment. I wish you luck. :/
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #8 
BETTACHKALOVE

Hey how is he doing? Velvet it a little parasites on your fish. You can get rid of them with aquarium salt. I can give you instruction on that.

uSYMPTOMS:
Velvet is hard to spot, but can be best spotted with a flashlight. Shine the light on the betta’s body: if it looks like it is covered with a fine gold or rust mist, then it has velvet. A betta with velvet will act sick, so look for clamped fins, scratching against rocks/gravel/tank, loss of appetite, loss of color etc...

When i looked at the picture i don't see that he has velvet but you can see it better with flashlight. You wrote that he had/has gold under his head which can be his normal coloration.

How is he looking now?

BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #9 
xfeejayx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
You NEED a heater. Bettas are a tropical fish who like temps of 76-83F.

I'm not sure about the velvet treatment. I wish you luck. :/
I had him up to 85 or so yesterday, but the home cools down at night and is hard to keep him warm. Not easy to put a heater on a 1 gl fish bowl. I might come up with something to keep him warm.

That picture is from this morning, minutes before I posted it. The red on the interior of his gills I think is permanent now due to poor water quality, but the rest I think can be managed.

Those two little long fins that stick down are looking worse. they used to be pretty stout, now they look like string, and are completely red. The long fin underneath his body his infected too now.

Anybody have ideas other than copper sulfate? It's only been a day since that's been in there, so maybe I should just let it work.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #10 
BETTACHKALOVE

Normal temperature 76-80* so you really don't have to have 85*. I am personally thinking it too hot. My bettas live in 74*-76* and my room temperature also fluctuate.

I would really recommend to stop cupper. Pre mix 2tsp/gall of the aquarium salt in one gallon jug . It is better to pre mix it for the right dosage. Of course use water conditioner with pre mix salt. Do 100% daily water changes.

I think you are right it not velvet he sick due to poor water quality and he might have bacterial infection...which aquarium salt should help.

You wrote that he is getting worse. Is he still eating ?
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote