Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #1 
BeckyFish97

Have I got everything?

Some of you on here may know that I plan to breed gandalf and lily on the 6th of July.I just wanted to check I have everything!Let me know if I have anything missing!!!
Fish.
Jars.A LOT OF THEM :P
IAL.
5gal spawning tank.
2 10 gal grow out tanks (to split fry between-I don't have a strong enough table/shelf to put a 20gal on (I'm working on it!) )
BBS hatchery and eggs.
Micro worms, banana worms, walter worms, and tubifex+daphnia (joined) culture.
Hikari first bites.
Decaps.
Eye dropper for 1st+2nd week waterchanges.
Small jug to add water through these 2 weeks (in the spawning tank-they will be moved to the grow outs at the end of the 3rd week)
Water test kit.Water will be tested daily.
Heated fish room.
Sponge filter.
Treatments for outbreaks. (Generally I never had an outbreak in my tank, other than an epidemic, which was started by a bad batch of panda cories that I was stupid enough not to QT!)
Treatments for parents.
Cup for artificial hatching-Hopefully it wont be necessary!!!
Good knowledge of the fish, and breeding standards.

Am I missing anything?I may have something missing off of my list that I forgot to write!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #2 
tpocicat

If you're missing anything, I don't see it. Best of luck with your spawn.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #3 
jeffegg2

Cool

If you use an eye dropper for water changes, you'll be sitting there for a long time!!!

How long to do a 50% water change in a 5 gallon with an eye dropper???

Get a length of airline about 6 foot, and about 2 foot lenght of ridgid airline and that will make a good fry tank vacum. If you don't want to suck on it to start the syphon, then submerge the airline in the water, let the air out, then put your finger over the end and put it into what ever you are syphoning into. I suggest like a clear jug or something you can see really well into as you are sure to suck up a fry or two or three....

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #4 
BeckyFish97

LOL I didn't think of it that way, I have a "siphon" but it's a little too big for the 5gal so I need to go on ebay and get a smaller one, has anyone tried the auto suction ones with the squeezy bit?are they good? thanks guys!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #5 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyFish97 View Post
LOL I didn't think of it that way, I have a "siphon" but it's a little too big for the 5gal so I need to go on ebay and get a smaller one, has anyone tried the auto suction ones with the squeezy bit?are they good? thanks guys!!!
They work great for the regular tanks, but for a fry tank they would suck up all the fry along with the poo...

Best is a bit of ridgid airline with some air tubing and siphon into a bucket. Perhaps I'll have to manufacture a "fry vac" that has a checkvalve and bulb?

Best of luck,
Jeff.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #6 
tpocicat

Best is a bit of ridgid airline with some air tubing and siphon into a bucket. Perhaps I'll have to manufacture a "fry vac" that has a checkvalve and bulb?

Best of luck,
Jeff.[/quote]

If you do, I'll be your first customer! I currently use air tubing with nylon on the end to keep from sucking up fry, and finger for checkvalve.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #7 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post

Best of luck,
Jeff.

If you do, I'll be your first customer! I currently use air tubing with nylon on the end to keep from sucking up fry, and finger for checkvalve.[/quote]

Hard to make it fry proof and also suck up the poo.....
Old 05-19-2012, 05:52 AM   #8 
BeckyFish97

LOL, I would also buy, hmmm fry proof...make teeny tiny holes in the bottom of the siphon, maybe put a bit of clingfilm and poke holes in it with a pin?although it would probably still suck up the fry...what if I were to take a few jugs of water out (50 %) and then use an eyedropper to pull out the poop and uneaten food?Would that work?
Old 05-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #9 
checkerzelda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyFish97 View Post
LOL, I would also buy, hmmm fry proof...make teeny tiny holes in the bottom of the siphon, maybe put a bit of clingfilm and poke holes in it with a pin?although it would probably still suck up the fry...what if I were to take a few jugs of water out (50 %) and then use an eyedropper to pull out the poop and uneaten food?Would that work?
You can simply attach an airstone at the end of the fine airline tubing, place this end into the aquarium and let gravity do its job. It won't suck out poo, but at least you know it's safe for 1-2 weeks small fry. Saves you time as you wouldn't have to monitor it too closely. This is also a great way to replace water gently so that you won't shock the fry too much. :)

I only attempt to remove poo when they're over their 2 weeks mark..by then they should be strong enough to try swim away from your siphon and then you can have better control over what you're sucking, haha.
checkerzelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #10 
BeckyFish97

Ok thanks!!!