Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #11 
SageMyster

To be clear, you're talking about API Aquarium Salt?

His gills are normal too. :/

EDIT: black, but he's black in that spot naturally
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #12 
Mo

This could possibly be a symptom of Swim Bladder Infection which is usually caused by over feeding. Ideally you should only be feeding 4 pellets daily. My recommendation towards treating this would be along the lins of introducing a dose Of Epsom salt at around 1 teaspoon per gallon

Symptoms
- Bloating
- eradicated swimming
- floating towards the surface of the water
- trouble swimming up
- seems to be doing "rolls"

Treatment
Treating this usually non fatal illness will be very easy to do. Usually a dose of aquarium salt, something along the lines of 1 teaspoon per 3 gallons for tetras, and 1 teaspoon per gallon for more salt tolerant fish such as Bettas. Typically after 1-2 Epsom salt treatments it will go away. Ideally during this treatment time you would also want to offer peas, and daphnia to the fish as this will also help

Cause
This illness is usually caused by incorrect feeding with diets that have little or no nutritional value, or over feeding. Or incorrectly feeding more than the needed periods in the day to feed, like feeding very often

Prevention
This illness is easily prevented by going along the lines of not over feeding, providing a varied diet with many good foods, and feeding lots of low nutritional value foods
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

Any type of salt, yes. I use API AQ SALT for medication only, which is 10 days for stuff like ich and other things. But never as an additive.
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #14 
SageMyster

Thank you, Mo! I will try that. What if he does not exhibit all the symptoms you've listed, though?
Old 05-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #15 
Mo

It could easily be early on symptoms. Not all of those symptoms occur though, they are just a rule of thumb to watch out for. The first and second are ally the main symptoms.

Does he have difficulty with swimming?
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #16 
SageMyster

He definitely is swimming erratically, and I just saw him swim on his side. Perhaps you're right about the swim bladder infection.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #17 
Twilight Storm

If it were me, I would remove him to a different container/tank for now if you have an extra heater.

If he is tail biting he may not be happy living with the other betta. (guessing)

I have 1 fish that was tail biting. He was living in a divided 10 gallon in a low traffic area. I moved him to a high traffic area with lots of stimulus around him in a tank by himself and he stopped biting his fins off. This may or may not work for everyone, but my guy was really NOT happy living with another fish.

Just a suggestion for you anyway. Lots of different things can cause tail biting and weird depression/ neurotic symptoms.

As for the disease, I think the other posts have that handled pretty well. I have no experience with what your fish may have. I hope he pulls through everything quickly.

Best Wishes

BTW- Is that a picture of Lucy in your avatar? Every time I see it I think of Lucille Ball making a fish face lol.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #18 
SageMyster

Thank you Twilight, I have separated him already so hopefully things will clear up soon. Thank you (and you all) for your help. :)

And actually it's Judy Garland! I'm glad others caught onto the fish face, because she's actually practicing kissing. XD
Old 05-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #19 
Sena Hansler

well good luck!!
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote