Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #1 
CosmosMom123

Emergency! Cosmo needs help!

My Betta, Cosmo, started out with cloudy eye that went away with Tetracycline. Since then, he has lost his lower fin, starting at the base near his body and it was rotting away. I tried the Tetracycline treatment for another round thinking this will help. It did not.

I have since gone through SEVERAL different treatments with no results.

I have tried each of these treatments through their durations -Fungus Guard, Life Guard, Maroxy, and Bettafix. I have now started Maracyn and added some aquarium salt and Stress Coat.

Now his lower fin is gone and you can see his fin bones, he has now developed a white patch near his tail that looks like he is losing scales and chunks of his body and it keeps getting bigger. When I do water changes I see debris from him like he is sloughing off his skin. He eats well (except today) and now stays at the bottom of his tank. Any ideas what else to try? I thought with the spectrum of drugs I have tried that I got any bacterial, fungal, and parasitic infections....but he continues to get worse.

I have moved him from his regular 3.5 gallon tank to a one gallon bowl, and change his water every other day.

I have been treating him since April 2!

Help! Thanks.

Size / Volume of Tank: 3.5
Temperature: 72F
Water levels are normal
My aquarium contains: Just him, gravel, betta log, betta leaf hammock, 3 fake plants.
How often do you perform water changes? now, every other day
What percentage do you change? 100
How often do you clean or rinse the filter? don't use a filter, it seemed to stress him out.
What water conditioners, medications, or products do you add to your tank on a regular basis? I always use Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner

BEFORE - with lower fin intact

Yesterday - no lower fin and white spot eating away at his body
CosmosMom123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:38 AM   #2 
TheCheese909

:( poor baby, i'm sorry. The same thing happened to my Jasper and I couldn't stop it no matter what I tried. I *think* it's sever body & fin rot.

I hope someone comes along soon and helps you and him out. :\
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #3 
Kim

Hmmm...seems like you've pretty much covered the full spectrum of gram positive and gram negative antibiotics, fungal treatments, and the life guard even treats some parasites. Since the Maracyn is the only gram-positive medication you've tried so far, I'd keep using it in hopes that it will work. To me this seems bacterial.

I don't know if you've heard of it yet, but on another forum I remember reading a thread devoted to some new form of bacterial disease that affects primarily blue bettas and results in devastating fin/body rot that can either progress extremely rapidly (kills within a day or two) or over a longer period of time. So far a treatment has been elusive, but one member of that forum was actually sending deceased bettas out for biopsies to try and determine the cause. This is all second hand info though, as I've never come across the disease myself.

One thing I did notice however was the low tank temperature. Bettas thrive in temps of around 80 degrees Fahrenheit, and definitely when the immune system is low the proper temperature is crucial. Try to raise it...if nothing else it will make him more comfortable. Good luck! So sorry about your boy :(
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #4 
betta lover1507

it looks like a bacterial infection, a bad case to :( try to give him salt, clean water every next day, keep him warm, keep lights low
here is a link about Diseases:
http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm
hope it helps
it could also be body and fin rot, it a more severe case of fin rot, where it will also attack the body
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #5 
TheCheese909

I hope you're able to find a way to cure him. I tried doing daily water changes with AQS for a week, and Maracyn 1 & 2 and Maracide. Jasper lost his dorsal fin in within 2 weeks, and his right pectoral fin in a day and a half, he was sick for a month maybe slightly longer. He kept getting worse and worse and I finally decided I was going to put him to sleep to end his suffering, the next day when I was getting ready to leave to go buy him some Clove Oil he passed away on his own. I really hope this doesn't happen to your boy.

Do these pictures look similar to how he looks now? Don't mind the missing eye, Jasper was missing the eye when I got him months before.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...09/Jasper2.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...09/Jasper1.jpg

Links only, because he was pretty messed up :(
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #6 
CosmosMom123

Thanks everyone for your concern!

Kim - I had not heard about the blue betta thing. That is something to consider.
betta lover1507 - thanks for the link. I will check that out.
TheCheese909 - It's hard for me to say if he looks like what Jasper had. I will post a new Cosmo photo tomorrow.

Just an update...

I'm doing what OldFishLady suggested - the high doses of aquarium salt 3tsp/gal in a small QT, low temp no more than 76F, dim lit quite location, water changes 50% daily with some premixed Aquarium salt water 3tsp/gal. I don't have-a tannin source and I will check our pet store for IAL or dried Oak leaf.

Cosmo is still with us. He is still fighting this but seems to be maintaining. He still has the cotton build up on him.

I am still using Stress Coat and Maracyn 1. I see where people recommend Maracyn 2 but the Maracyn 1 the box is labeled to treat columnaris.

I saw a video where someone applied aquarium salt soaked cotton swab to their fish's columnaris spots and they say it improved and saved their fish.

Have you heard of this? I was wondering if I should try this. The spot on his body is so large and I am afraid the salt application my burn or stress him out more.

What do you think?
CosmosMom123 is offline   Reply With Quote