Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #11 
Sakura8

True, but they don't eat other snails. Are you concerned about the bioload?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #12 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
True, but they don't eat other snails. Are you concerned about the bioload?
Yup. 3 otos, 1 betta, a nerite and an apple snail seems like a lot to me.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #13 
Sheldon31

I'd have either the nerite snail or the otos not both imho. It does seem bioload busting. Nerites are tougher but otos are cuter.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #14 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
Yup. 3 otos, 1 betta, a nerite and an apple snail seems like a lot to me.
I'm not getting 3 otos now. If I did get 3 otos in the future I would probably move Charlie (the apple snail) into my 2.5 gallon tank.

Charlie keeps going and going. I actually "think" I'm starting to see a small difference. I'm so paranoid about him though. Neptune doesn't seem to care, but I'm always worried hes going to do something to poor Charlie.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #15 
Sakura8

Hmm. Unless you ever have a crazy, crazy, crazy algae problem, 3 otos AND a nerite AND an apple snail would be overkill. Since they all eat algae, they'd really be competing for food. And when algae runs out, otos tend to starve to death because they don't recognize things like veggies and wafers as a source of food.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #16 
N03113

I have a 8 gallon tank with a filter/heater.. and it's planted.

After cycling my tank (which took just a little over 2 weeks with the help of Nutrafin's Cycle) I added 1 betta, 2 nerites (one is a zebra nerite and the other is a tracked nerite) and just recently placed 3 otos...

I recently lost a single oto - likely starved unfortunately... but he was in a 3g with the betta and snails while I was waiting for the 8g to cycle. The biggest issue I had with the oto (aside that they do like to be in a min schoal of 3) was that my betta was being territorial over the food... And I didn't have much room to try and hide some algae wafers.

I tried zucchini and even setting him in his own tank - but he just didn't make it.

Otos are more known for eating brown algae... so this time I'm changing it up with a different type of wafer, I have 3 now, so they should be socially happier, and I have sufficient covering (multiple pieces of driftwood) for them to escape to (and to hide the wafers at) You can also supplement with blanched zucchini, spinach, lettuce.. and you can also grow some algae on rocks in a jar outside in the sun.. and just cycle the rocks through the tank.

http://www.otocinclus.com is a good website for info on the oto...

http://aqadvisor.com/ can help you determine bioload

A filter is a must for a 10g. You can cover the intake of whatever type of filter you get with panty hose to prevent any inhabitants from getting sucked in - and you want to find one that had adjustable flow.. I'm using the Marineland Duetto 50 - works nicely.. Also, the filter is what houses most of your bacteria colonies that process the nitrogen cycle.
N03113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #17 
N03113

Also take back the apple snail, imo. They won't be good for algae in the long run and as many others have mentioned they have a large bioload.

And for acclimation, I use drip method.. works nicely.. in a clear container cause it allows my betta to see the new inhabitants and I can observe if he has any outright aggression... for the most part, bettas do fine with otos...

Last edited by N03113; 05-25-2012 at 09:52 PM.
N03113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:22 AM   #18 
Cargo

You could always just get a few more mystery snails. They don't require a lot of space, and produce a small bioload. Two more snails with a team of five ghost shrimp should be a good cleanup team. The shrimp will eat leftover foods preventing further algae growth, and the snails will cure you of your already existing algae problem. Just remember that when they eat all the algae, you have to get some algae wafers.
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:41 AM   #19 
Bombalurina

Mystery snails actually have a pretty big bioload, and don't do a great job with most types of algae.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote