Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #11 
Twilight Storm

kinda long post lol

Java moss is especially good for any container you keep a betta in. It doesn't need much light and is a magical plant in my opinion.... in so many ways. Algae can do a good job of smothering it though.... I threw out a lot of my moss because it was in a tank that got a bad algae problem, and now it's impossible to find more to replace it.

Here is a test a few people did, which makes me wish ALL bettas sold in pet stores came with a small glob of java moss in each cup. So many more bettas would probably have just a slightly better chance at sticking out some of the bad conditions until someone takes them home and gets them out of their little torture chamber.
http://www.bettatalk.com/java_moss.htm
(Again I stress it doesn't replace the NEED to do proper water changes.... but it's magical imo.)

O.K.! Now that you all know I belong to the Java Moss Fan Club..... LOL

Java fern I am not so sure about yet. I am getting new growth on my ferns both free floating and tied to driftwood. I do have brown spots on my leaves. I don't know if that is being caused by the bugs or if it is my lack of knowledge on how to keep it healthy. It's a new plant to me. The plants I have tied to driftwood are doing slightly better then my free floating pieces. The java fern I got was one of those plant tubes in the pet store. It was a mass of baby plant rhizomes tied tightly with black thread. I removed the thread carefully and got 16 plants out of 1.

If you get java fern in a tube, check for thread. If it is there you might want to take it off. Be really careful doing so though. The way they tied my plants pretty much left no room for any of the new growth to come up out of the thread glob. It also seemed like it was tied too tightly, making it a delicate surgical procedure to remove the thread! LOL !

I love your baby's planted tank aokashi! Would you share what kind of plants you have in there and what kind of light you are using?

I was thinking about getting one of those tanks but I figured the babies grow so fast and then what would I do with it?

Seeing yours makes me want to try to make a better home for my few common pond snails I wish were trumpet snails because people say the snails I have are bad. I'm attached to them though.

Note: Keep in mind I still believe in housing adult bettas in at LEAST 1 gallon containers long term... Hopefully 2 gallons to 5 gallons..... Just saying...
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #12 
TheCheese909

aokashi... omg.. It took me some time before I realized exactly what tank that was- your little Betta made the tank look huge lol. It's so pretty.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #13 
Bettachazie

where do you get java moss?
Bettachazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #14 
Twilight Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettachazie View Post
where do you get java moss?
I found mine at local pet stores. They don't have any now, and they are all telling me "Their supplier doesn't carry it anymore."

Other then that I am not sure. I saw some on ebay for an arm and a leg for a really tiny amount of it. I really would like to get more myself.

TheCheese- I didn't see your picture in this post at first. I see it now though. At first glance it looks like you were making a bloodworm soup in that little bowl in front of your tank lol ;)
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #15 
ao
TFK Moderator

LOL yes she will definitely be in a 1 gallon when she grows up :) I play with her a lot, and she isn't shy at all (usually tries to eat my finger with her pellets), Still need to name...

But when I upgrade, I'll throw some of my excess cherry shrimps in there and use it as a holding tank before I sell them or something :) I have come to realize that the bioload of shrimps are amazingly negligibly tiny...

Anyway...
In the "bowl" is...
An anubias nana petitite.
A java fern Trident (unlike normal java ferns these stay small)
Brazillian pennywort
Some Java moss at the back
An unidentified plant I am hoping to identify soon... LOL
Water wisteria
Guppy grass
Water Sprite
Four leaf water clover
Salvinia
Duckweed

As you can imagine I used about 1 strand of most plants :P

The light is a 100w equivilant cfl from my table lamp. I love plants and have a few indoor plants I keep this light on. They all share the same light.

I have a spare "plants tank" on my window sill and I usually salvage from there. Any thin I throw in there seems to grow... including a banana lily leaf I pruned off. It is now a whole new banana lily plant. Lol

I added a mini ramshorn snail to help fertilize the plants...ever since adding it I've been paranoid about spikes and tested the water everyday that I didn't change it, but nothing happened and it's all good :D

I'm still trying to figure out whether I want to do my next tank with a Süsswassertang as my centerpiece attached to driftwood >.>

EDIT:
oh and brown spots on java ferns? never throw those out, wait a bit, and you will have many little java fern plantlets. That's how I got my first java ferns, believe it or not - this hitch hiker diseased looking leaf that came with my shrimps.

Last edited by ao; 05-20-2012 at 06:04 PM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #16 
Bombalurina

I don't have a bowl, but I would love one one day, a big 5 gal one for a coffee table, with lots of plants. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #17 
Tikibirds

I always like the look of those marina cubes - I would get one it they made them in bigger sizes - like 3-5 gallons.

The planted 1/2 gallon looks awsome. How do you keep it warm though?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #18 
ao
TFK Moderator

she's usually in the heating room where the water boiler is. Temperature there is around 82-85
Her water is usually around 80 :) though its getting warmer so I took her out recently and its been a constant 78
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #19 
Alcemistnv

This is Buddha's 2 gallon bowl :)

Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #20 
Tikibirds

Quote:
she's usually in the heating room where the water boiler is. Temperature there is around 82-85
Her water is usually around 80 :) though its getting warmer so I took her out recently and its been a constant 78
That's a neat idea actually.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote