Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2012, 03:29 AM   #11 
ttubbs

i deff will
ttubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:39 AM   #12 
ttubbs

i think its crazy how the lady at petco told me that it was ok to get 2 and when i asked how many gallons i need to have 6 bettas she looked at me and said well why would u want that many i also asked what other fish were safe with bettas and she said i shouldnt mix bettas with anything but i have seen mixed tanks containing betas
Old 05-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #13 
Bombalurina

Petshops rarely know anything about bettas. It's sad. :( Here's a quick run-down of what you need to know:

- For your girls, you do need at least a 5 gallon tank. Until you hav more girls, keep them seperate (you can make a DIY divider). If you do plan to start a sorority, you need at least ten gallons and at least 5 girls. However, if you are relatively new to bettas, I wouldn't suggest trying this just yet, as sororities are risky and a lot can go wrong. I'd just keep the two girls seperate for now.

- You do need a heater to keep the water between 78 and 82F. Also get a thermometer (the ones that go in the water are much better than the stick-on ones) to check that the heater is doing what it is supposed to.

- If you have a 5 gallon tank or larger, I suggest getting a heater so you can cycle it.

- In more than ten gallons, some bettas can happily live with community fish. My girls all do. Other bettas, however, will be too aggressive. It is totally dependant on the betta's personality.

I hope this helps. :) Once again, I want to stress that it really is a good idea to seperate those girls. At present they may be too stressed or not settled in enough to chase each other, but just having two girls in a tank is really just waiting for the storm to hit. The stronger girl will end up harassing the other girl all the time, potentially killing her or stressing her out so much that she gets sick.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #14 
ttubbs

thanks i actually seperated them today it just seemed to risky and the one i picked out was always hiding from the other and i felt bad for her
Old 05-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #15 
Tikibirds

Its good you separated them - as the alpha will always pick on the other one. In a group, they will establish a pack order - like wolves with one being the alpha female and the others being the subordinate bettas. The more there are, the less likely the same one will get picked on. Of course there is no guarantee they will get along anyways. There is always the chance you will wake up to a badly injured or dead female.

I like my female tank. If you can, I would get a 10 gallon and get 2 or 3 more females but make sure you do some research before you try this.
And make sure the tank is jam packed with plants and decor. The less they see each other, the less they will fight. Also, make sure you have a spare tank incase one girl is too aggressive.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #16 
ttubbs

thank you