Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #1 
underdebate

Constipation + excess slime coat?

Hi all, just a minor problem this time. Veetor has been constipated for upwards of a week now-- the first few days I noticed it, I cut down his feeding bit by bit, and over the past four days he hasn't eaten at all. Yesterday, while doing a water change for another one of my boys, I put his cup in front of Veetor's tank to let the two of them flare a bit and get some exercise; while flaring, Veetor almost pooped, but it was like the thing was too large and he couldn't get it all the way out. (Yuck.) The poop itself was slightly lighter-coloured than normal, but didn't look all too out of the ordinary, except for a white, slimy bit at the end.

Additionally, I've noticed Veetor appears to be producing excess slime coat (or at least that's the only explanation I can think of)-- it's sort of difficult to see in the picture I've attached, but I've noticed some translucent 'puffs' stuck to the tips of his fins over the past few days. At first I was worried about it being some sort of bacteria, but the fins themselves haven't changed, and it's not on his body, so-- slime coat? I guess?

Basically I'd just like to know if there's anything I can do for him besides keeping his water clean and continuing to not feed him. He's been without food for about four days now, and his behavior hasn't changed-- he's still very perky and active, and doesn't seem to have any trouble swimming. How long would be considered safe to go without feeding? Should I just wait this one out?

Housing
What size is your tank? 3.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? ~80 F
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets twice a day (currently nothing)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1-50%, 1-100% per week
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? bloated; translucent white 'puffs' on the tips of his fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? n/a, still active and swimming fine
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Reduced and eventually stopped feeding.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? Somewhere between 5-6 months old.
Attached Images

underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Not feeding will result in him having a weakned immune system and being unable to fight anything off.

Can you get frozen daphnia? This'll clear him right out!

If not, 3 teaspoons per gallon pre-dissolved of EPSOM SALT non-fragrance. This also will get him to poop

Both methods are safer than the pea method, and I've only tried the pea method once.. I didn't want to, but I did, and it didn't help since he was 3 weeks no pooping already.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote