Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #11 
xfeejayx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTACHKALOVE View Post
Normal temperature 76-80* so you really don't have to have 85*. I am personally thinking it too hot. My bettas live in 74*-76* and my room temperature also fluctuate.

I would really recommend to stop cupper. Pre mix 2tsp/gall of the aquarium salt in one gallon jug . It is better to pre mix it for the right dosage. Of course use water conditioner with pre mix salt. Do 100% daily water changes.

I think you are right it not velvet he sick due to poor water quality and he might have bacterial infection...which aquarium salt should help.

You wrote that he is getting worse. Is he still eating ?
I'm mixing in the salt per the recommended dosage on the container. I think the dosage you're recommending is higher than what is on the package. Is it ok to do a higher dosage?

The copper treatment was the recommended treatment for Velvet. This is ehat I'm using: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...329&lmdn=Brand

He is trying to eat, but it seems he can't eat. He's spitting every bit of food back out. His top fin seemed a little bunched together this morning. He's more scared of me now than ever before (goes rushing away when I even get close to the tank).

Think I am going to get him a heater tonight (if I can find one that fits).
xfeejayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #12 
BETTACHKALOVE

The instructions on the container are just preventative, it is not for the treatment. It very safe and a lot of people on the forum know/treat with the same dose. The aquarium salt dosage can be up to 3 tsp/gall. Aquarium salt is safe don't worry about that. Most important now is diagnosing him correctly.

So are you sure that he has velvet. When you flash light on him does he has those symptoms looks like he covered with a fine gold or rust mist?

The only difference will be if he has velvet it better to raise temperature up to 85*. So if you sure that he has the velvet symptom it better to increase temperature up to 85*-86* if he don’t have velvet you don’t have to increase the temperature but rest of the instructions are the same. So go ahead and pre mix 2 tsp/gall and if you order heater you can increase the temperature. But start as soon as you can.

What is the temperature in the room he is in?

Now if he has velvet you need to take out all his decorations, gravel, live plants and I will let you know what to do. Just let me know what is in his tank.

The temperature will help to stop parasite to reproduce…

Now the instructions for treatment:

2tsp/gall with 100% daily water changes. Take everything from the tank if you sure it velvet.
When you do his water changes wash his tank with hot water and wipe it and wash it again.

Than each time when you done changing him make sure the net if you are using one and the changing cup sit dry for 24 hrs and this will kill any parisites.

BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #13 
xfeejayx

Quote:
The instructions on the container are just preventative, it is not for the treatment. It very safe and a lot of people on the forum know/treat with the same dose. The aquarium salt dosage can be up to 3 tsp/gall. Aquarium salt is safe don't worry about that. Most important now is diagnosing him correctly.

I'm not positive, but pretty certain. Take a look at the pictures above. His lower fins are turning more red and gold by the day.
  • Water change is being done almost daily with hot water to clean. I'll continue this. I'll make sure 100% of the water is removed (normally it's like 95% because I use a cup to scoop him out).
  • I will increase salt amount tonight to 2 teaspoons.
  • The stuff used to change water sits out to dry daily.
  • He just has some marbles, a turtle decoration (not real turtle), and a couple plastic plants. No live plants.
  • SHOULD I REMOVE EVERYTHING EVEN THOUGH IT'S ALL PLASTIC?
  • The current water temperature is too cold, it's just room temperature. I cranked up the heat this morning before leaving the home.
  • I'll try to get a heater that fits tonight.

Very much appreciate the advice. Happy to see this little guy has a lot of people fighting for him.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #14 
BETTACHKALOVE

Now about medications. If you sure it velvet I would stop using medications and do the salt treatment first. The aq salt treatment should be 10 days and it should help. You always can use medications after if it will not help. Using both - salt and medications is too much and will stress him out. And especially if you not sure that he has velvet, than I would definitely recommend to stop using medications.

The reason why I keep saying I am not sure that he has velvet because I don’t see it on the picture. But you can see it when you shine the light on him. I would think he is sick due to water quality he was in. So really if he don’t have velvet then it the same instructions just without water temperature raising….
Old 05-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #15 
BETTACHKALOVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfeejayx View Post
I'm not positive, but pretty certain. Take a look at the pictures above. His lower fins are turning more red and gold by the day.
  • Water change is being done almost daily with hot water to clean. I'll continue this. I'll make sure 100% of the water is removed (normally it's like 95% because I use a cup to scoop him out).
  • I will increase salt amount tonight to 2 teaspoons.
  • The stuff used to change water sits out to dry daily.
  • He just has some marbles, a turtle decoration (not real turtle), and a couple plastic plants. No live plants.
  • SHOULD I REMOVE EVERYTHING EVEN THOUGH IT'S ALL PLASTIC?
  • The current water temperature is too cold, it's just room temperature. I cranked up the heat this morning before leaving the home.
  • I'll try to get a heater that fits tonight.
Very much appreciate the advice. Happy to see this little guy has a lot of people fighting for him.
Sorry need a few min i didn't have chance to read :)
Old 05-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #16 
BETTACHKALOVE

To me it doesn’t look like velvet. I think if it velvet it would be all over his body not only on his fins.

When you change him doesn’t leave his water. Just has a little bit of new water in the cup for him …also make sure new water +-2-4 the same as he already in. If it is velvet we need to get rid of it so don’t leave his water in the cup. I can give you advice how to make new water the same temperature if you have problem with it.

Ok take everything out from his tank and I will write for you instructions on that. Only because if it velvet it is little parisites that we need to get rid of, and if you will live decorations it can hide there and then spreads…..

About heater don’t know there are ones for small bowl but be careful. I am afraid it can overheat.

I am afraid to make decision I really don’t think it velvet. Then you really don’t need to worry about temperature. What is the temperature in your room. Some of my bettas live in 74-76*.

When you shine the light or when you look at him on a straight sun light does he looks like he has rust mist, dust like on his body? I know he has on his fins but how about body,head?

Old 05-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #17 
xfeejayx

Quote:
To me it doesnít look like velvet. I think if it velvet it would be all over his body not only on his fins.

When you change him doesnít leave his water. Just has a little bit of new water in the cup for him Öalso make sure new water +-2-4 the same as he already in. If it is velvet we need to get rid of it so donít leave his water in the cup. I can give you advice how to make new water the same temperature if you have problem with it.

Ok take everything out from his tank and I will write for you instructions on that. Only because if it velvet it is little parisites that we need to get rid of, and if you will live decorations it can hide there and then spreadsÖ..

About heater donít know there are ones for small bowl but be careful. I am afraid it can overheat.

I am afraid to make decision I really donít think it velvet. Then you really donít need to worry about temperature. What is the temperature in your room. Some of my bettas live in 74-76*.

When you shine the light or when you look at him on a straight sun light does he looks like he has rust mist, dust like on his body? I know he has on his fins but how about body,head?

I don't really see anything on his whole body. Per the link posted in the 4th post, " The parasite is most often seen on the fins and gills." Well, his gills and fins are looking reddish and gold, that's why I was convinced. The coating is NOT on his whole body, so maybe I'm wrong.

I don't know how fast velvet acts. I do notice the gold/red is increasing. I am not positive it is velvet, and am certainly looking for input. I thought hitting those parasites with everything was the best method, I might be wrong.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #18 
BETTACHKALOVE

If it is increasing then definitely if you can increase the water temperature it would be the best with aquarium salt. Better safe than sorry. The only problem is heat. But even without heat it will help. You will dehydrate parasites with salt. And then you do 100% water changes which will get rid of them when they fall. I would start it today and see if you can get heater for small tank.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #19 
xfeejayx

No question, it's velvet. He's getting worse. Not even trying to eat, and less active.

Going to do a water change, take out decoration, double salt dosage, and increase temperature.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #20 
CaseyA

Oh no. Good luck!
CaseyA is offline   Reply With Quote