Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2012, 03:30 AM   #201 
JennybugJennifer

Well don't they have to have filters too?
What essentials do you need? I'll have to get some tad pole bits
I have some sinking pellets I using break up
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:36 AM   #202 
Gizmothefreaky

They don't necessarily need a filter, it is always a good idea, but it isn't something they will suffer without.

essentials... Hmm... I would say heater, fine sand substrate, proper sized tank, plants(real or fake, doesnt matter) , good food ( HBH frog and tadpole bites is the brand i use), and clean water.

If the sinking pellets are for frogs then you are good on that front, so dont worry.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:42 AM   #203 
JennybugJennifer

I'll show you them
I feed like onces maybe twice a day

These are his foods

JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:58 AM   #204 
Gizmothefreaky

Those are what I am talking about. :) in my experience it is always best to stick with a food that has the animals name in the name of the product. That food in the gel gets expensive, but it is good stuff, I would just get the frozen bloodworm blocks from now on. They are way cheaper. Lmao!!
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #205 
Chesh

Yikes! I don't know why I haven't been getting updates on this thread! Looks like it's been hopping over here - no pun intended ;)

Jennifer, as far as plants are concerned. . . a lot of this depends on the type of water and lighting that you have, but one of the easiest plants to keep alive without help is Hornwort. It's also a great nutrient hog, and will help keep your water clear of toxins and such. The problem with it is that it's messy! My frog loves it, though. There are tons of options out there for floating plants, though. If you want to post up some of the specifics on your tank, I can try to help a little bit more in this. Not only will the frog love the floating plants, you can 'plant' them in the substrate or weigh some down, and they'll really love that, too!

As far as filtration goes, yes - have some! Though it isn't 100% necessary, it will make it a lot easier to keep the water properly maintained without a hitch - and we can use all of the help we can get sometimes! Be careful about the intake on your filter, though. It's a good idea to cover it with nylon mesh or a sponge to keep little flippers from getting sucked into it. . . Like Gizmo said, I would leave him be until you get a bigger tank. Moving them around too much isn't good, either - and he's probably fine in the 2.5 all alone!

Food. . .Stick with something designed especially for the frogs. If you can't find the HTH, Topfin brand sells one called 'Frog, newt, and tadpole bites' that are fine for ADF. Most PetSmart stores carry them - they're easy to find. But if you're going to PetSmart, ask for the freezer section and get some frozen goodies, too! I wonder if you'd be better off trying the frozen bloodworms? This can vary, but MY frog absolutley will not eat pellets under any circumstances EVER! He was never fed pellets though - in the shop they fed him brine shrimp, so I'm not sure if he even 'gets' that the pellets are food.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #206 
Chesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwhat View Post
My betta doesn't say anything to mine. I have had them for about 4 days now and they don't seem bloated at all. They also don't have red hind legs and the tank was cycled.
I got them frog and tadpole bites made by topfin. I scattered them around the area that they hang out in and I noticed 1 or 2 disappear after a while so I guess they are eating, and they survived for a while so they must be eating.
Is it bad to scatter the foot in the tank? I have some seashells in the tank, should I use the inside of those as a feeding plate instead?
I would NOT assume they've eaten them unless you see them do so. As I've mentioned before, my frog absolutley will not take the pellets - ever! I wonder why they're being so shy about eating. . . Have you tried frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp? Even TINY bits of frozen tilapia fillet (like you eat for dinner) are very appetizing to a frog! If you put the food in and watch - do they seem in the slightest bit interested in it at all? This depends on the frog too, but mine has a tough time finding the food, so I feed him in the same place every time. He's trained to go to that spot for his food. . . another thing to consider is how they were fed in-shop. Mine was fed brine shrimp with a turkey baster, and he's kind of preconditioned to accept this food and method of feeding. I don't feed him with a baster, but when I use one to clean up after him, he goes nutty trying to eat it ;)

Hope this was helpful somehow - I'm half-asleep still! Good luck!
Old 05-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #207 
whatwhat

Hi guys, my frogs were doing great for 2 weeks, and everything else including the other fish and the water. I noticed one was getting longer than the other, one just kept getting fatter looking and was just as short as it was when I got it. I know they were eating because food was disappearing.

Yesterday I found the smaller frog sitting in front of the tank all day. It was inactive for over 12 hours, and when I nudged it a little I knew it died :( I am not sure what happened to it, and neither is the pet store. Now the other one doesn't seem to eat the pellets and is just sitting around too. What should I do? Get it frozen bloodworms? I can't go today because everything is closed :/

EDIT: I got these from petsmart, could they have a common disease?
whatwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #208 
Chesh

I am truly sorry that you're going through this. . .

Hopefully we can help out, but we'll need more info from you.

Can you give any information on your water parameters and tank size? Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, tank size, filtration, heat? Also, what type of pellets have you been feeding them? Do you have any pictures of your sick friend?

There are a million reasons why they could be getting sick, including disease, but in order to figure out exactly what the problem is, we need a bit more information from you.

*hugs*
Old 05-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #209 
whatwhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
I am truly sorry that you're going through this. . .

Hopefully we can help out, but we'll need more info from you.

Can you give any information on your water parameters and tank size? Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, tank size, filtration, heat? Also, what type of pellets have you been feeding them? Do you have any pictures of your sick friend?

There are a million reasons why they could be getting sick, including disease, but in order to figure out exactly what the problem is, we need a bit more information from you.

*hugs*
I don't have a test kit atm, but I recently got it checked at the pet store and they said it was good. It is a 10 gallon tank, the temperature is 78-80 F and the filter is great.

He has been sitting like this for like 2 hours, and if I nudge him he just moves a bit.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #210 
whatwhat

The food that they first gave me were the free dried bloodworms on the right, and they just floated so I don't use them anymore. The one on the right, is the one that they are eating.
Attached Images