Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #1 
vaw103

Unhappy Fin Rot/Septicemia?

Hello! (Sorry, in advance for the long post! )

I recently moved my Betta from his five gallon tank that I bring to college with me into my planted ten gallon tank that I keep at home (About two weeks ago?). The tank is fully cycled, heated to ~79-80. It's filtered, and has one air stone. In the tank I also have three Platys and two African Drawf frogs.

The Betta was in great health before I moved him into the ten gallon tank. Both the ten gallon and five gallon I moved him from are kept at the same temperature and have the same water source, so I did not think it was necessary to do any acclimation.

When I initially moved the Betta into the ten gallon, he was lethargic, hiding, had clamped fins and had some red streaks on both his tail and and anal fin. I assumed that the previous were from both the stress of moving and having new tank mates, as he's never lived with other fish before. He never had any loss of appetite.

After about a week and a half in the tank, he became more active, stopped hiding, and his fins have un-clamped (he's still holding them a little odd though, his tail fin is almost folding over itself?), which I think confirms that he was stressed and adjusting to his new home. But about three days ago, I noticed fin rot setting in and he still has the red streaks (septicemia maybe?). The red streaks at starting from the base of the fins, and fanning out about half the length of his fins. It almost looks like it could be a change in his coloration. I checked my water parameters, which were at 0,0,30. I know that 30 is a tad high for nitrates, but I don't think it's high enough to cause any issues? Anyhow, I immediately did a 30% water change, and have every day since.

I'm assuming that the fin rot was able to set in due to a compromised immune system from the stress of moving and having new tank mates.

But I'm wondering if that is enough stress to cause the fin rot? If it was, are daily water changes going to be enough to nurse him back to health? Do you suggest trying aquarium salt? If so, will I be okay dosing the entire tank with the other fish also? I think that I'll bump up the water changes to 60-70%ish, but with the tank being fully stocked, I don't want to be doing 100% water changes. And what about the red streaks? Is it septicemia? If it is, I have maracyn, maracyn 2, and maracyn-oxy handy, but I would prefer to go antibiotic free if possible.

I do have a 5 gallon, cycled, heated, filtered, spare tank that I can use for quarantine, but I planned on moving my pregnant platy into it within' the next couple days, and using it as a fry tank. I know that I should have a bigger tank for the fry, but it's her first batch of fry, so she'll only have a couple this time around (: If I do have to medicate though, I'll move my Betta into the spare 5 gallon and buy a breeding net or box for the platy.

I really appreciate any advice!
Attached Images

vaw103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #2 
LionCalie

The red streaks appear to be new coloration, nothing to worry about there.

However, he does have black tips on his fins which indicates fin rot. It can be brought on by stress, which lowers the immune system and gives the bacteria the perfect opportunity to attack. It can also be brought on my elevated Nitrate levels, which you had at 30 ppm. The good news is at this point his fin rot is very mild, so you should be able to get rid of it by keeping the water pristine and Nitrate under 20 ppm.

If it gets worse or doesn't improve, you can put him in the hospital tank and add some aquarium salt. Dose 1 tsp per gallon. Dissolve it in a cup of aquarium water before adding to tank and do not use salt treatment for more than 10 days.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Fin rot is caused from bad water quality as is septicemia. I never recommend aquarium salt for something as simple as minor fin rot, and especially not with dwarf frogs in the tank!

However, the "red streaks" I see from the picture is coloring. Natural coloring It's common to see in blues, even after you get them home thinking they were just blue.

With doing that many water changes and that high of a water change, you're kicking the tank back into cycling over and over again. Letting it cycle, since now you have fish in there, you should be doing 50% a week until the levels of everything are low or non existent.
I only do a 25% water change for my tanks that are over 5 gallons, and cycled.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #4 
vaw103

Talking

Thanks so much everyone! I'm really relieved that it's just a change in coloration, that's what I was hoping for! Now I'm excited to watch his color change and see how he ends up looking I'm also really relieved that the fin rot is mild enough for water changes to cure

I try to do 30% water changes once a week, my Platys are little poop factorys, even with fasting! I was thinking bigger water changes everyday to help the fin rot, but I definitely don't want to start a recycle. So how much/often should I change to get him back in good health without starting another cycle?
Old 05-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Just keep up the 30% a week water changes I know platys are poopers xD but it shouldn't make your 10 gallon an ammonia sludge the once a week amount is perfect :)

The reason you should acclimate to another tank despite the same temperature and water source, is the slightest changes in nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, hardness/softness, levels in metals etc, because the tank itself will be different especially with other fish being in there, that and objects differ.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #6 
BeckyFish97

The red is just colour change, although as said above the black could indicate slight fin rot, which could be due to stress, good water quality and lots of (gentle) water changes should be enough to sort that out.As for the septicemia you may want to see a doctor about that :P No I'm just joking, same as fin rot, plenty of (gentle) water changes and your boy should be back to normal soon enough :) Good Luck!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Well, it's not septicemia I can assure you!! If it were you'd need maracyn 2 for it, as I have had to use before. But don't worry about it :)
Old 05-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #8 
vaw103

Thumbs up

I'm so relieved! This made my day Thanks again everyone! Especially for all the quick replies!
Old 05-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Oh of course! and good luck!
Old 05-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #10 
LionCalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Fin rot is caused from bad water quality as is septicemia.
Not just bad water quality. I've seen and heard of fish getting fin rot in perfect water quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I never recommend aquarium salt for something as simple as minor fin rot, and especially not with dwarf frogs in the tank!
Hence why I said to add aquarium salt if it gets worse or doesn't improve. That is also why I recommended the OP put the fish in a hospital tank away from the other inhabitants before starting any kind of treatment.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fin rot, septicemia