Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #1 
Pearl2011

25 Gallon stocking ideas

I got a 25 gallon fish with an Aquaclear 20 filter and I need some ideas for a community.

I rather not have cories or neon tetras because it seems everybody has them (not saying dont like them, just want something unique).

I like the look of kuhli loaches and BN plecos a lot.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place or something like that, I'm new on fish forums.
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

Best thing to do is to go to your pet store, write down a list of the fish that you like and come home and research each type :) Find out what the min tank is for them, how many in a group etc etc. Then build from there :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #3 
Micho

Also find out what your water's pH and hardness is. :)

Kuhli loaches a standard 25 gallon with a footprint of 24" x 12" can house these guys, you want to keep a group of 4 or more, also your substrate must be sand, cannot be gravel because these guys are usually buried in the substrate, with gravel they'll get stressed out and even hurt trying to dig themselves into it.

Bristlenose Plecos would also work in a 25 gallon, just one of them.

I also suggest you upgrade your filter, to an AquaClear 30 or even 50! This will keep your filtration capacity very high.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #4 
Pearl2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Best thing to do is to go to your pet store, write down a list of the fish that you like and come home and research each type :) Find out what the min tank is for them, how many in a group etc etc. Then build from there :)
I was going to today but I played softball for 8 +hours yesterday, so I had an unplanned PJ day.

Micho:I'd love to, but I just cant afford it. I have a very strong '2' gallon filter I think I might use.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

You should be fine with an Aquaclear 20. They are great filters. If you cut the sponge they come with in half, then you will have room for another finer pore size sponge which will increase your biological capacity. And if you remove the carbon insert that will leave you more room for another bio-media insert. This filter will be just fine for your tank. Live plants will also help.

As far as stocking, Pitluvs has the right idea. Instead of looking online for what you want, go see what your local stores have to offer and research them. It will be much less stressful on you (and cheaper as shipping live animals is very expensive).

We will also need to know your tap water GH, KH, and pH. This will be the strongest factor to determine what you can stock in your tank.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #6 
Pearl2011

I got everything used for 20$, so I dont think I have the right foam. Its in a package that just say FLUVAL on the top. I have the sponge stuff and carbon pads.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #7 
Micho

You can find replacement carbon, sponge and "BioMax", it's in a box and it should have a big "20" on it. :) They're pretty cheap, probably around $3, you can buy them individually or three per box.

Here's an example:
Old 05-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #8 
Pearl2011

Thanks for the pic! I'll look for it next time I'm there.
My pH is 7.0, and I dont have testers for the other two.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #9 
Micho

7 is nice, dead on neutral.

You can find your water hardness by simply Googling, just type in your city's name + water hardness and an official town report should show up.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #10 
Pearl2011

Thanks Micho, I'll do that!

Tags
25 gallon, betta tank mates