Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #101 
Bombalurina

Here I sit, writing my Oscar Wilde essay. I'm really worried that it is going to be just like the literary review I wrote. I can't seem to make it different. Sigh.

Work last night was horrible. 45 children. 12 of the girls kept whinging how Kids' Club was living death and they wanted to leave. Try working there, listening to you having a whinge, princess! 6 or 7 of the boys were consistently running, throwing things and generally being little arses, despite me yelling. My sister wasn't working, so nothing got tidied up (there was crud all over the floor) unless I dealt with it, and none of the other staff seemed keen on doing any disciplining, so I became the ogre of the night. Great.

On the plus side, I am lucky to have a job, let alone one that pays well. Got to keep telling myself that.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:04 AM   #102 
Bombalurina

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1337469604 I want him. Not only does he have beautiful fins, he has lovely symmetry, too. *drool*
Old 05-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #103 
Bombalurina

Well, I discovered my OW essay was due today. Great. Still, got it in on time, even if I'm not thrilled with it. Now I have tomorrow to work on my tutorial presentation for law. After that, I'll give myself one day of rest.

Little Cassandra died during the night last night. I never expected her to have a long life, with her physical deformities, but I didn't want it to be that short. :( Of the three bettas I bought a couple of weeks ago, I only get to keep one. Cassie is dead and he-who-was-Hippolyta isn't allowed to stay with me. :( Such a shame, because he's so beautiful.

Downton Abbey has restarted in Australia! Huzzah!

Hungry. Hurry up and finish dinner, Daddy.

I have a bad bad crush on Loki from Avengers. And also Iron Man. And a tiny bit on Thor.

I can't wait for the holidays! So many things to draw and cook and watch and read and write and bake and clean!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #104 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I'm so sorry about Cassandra. :(

I love Downton Abbey. It's such a good show.

I saw the Avengers on Friday. I thought it was good - but IMO some of the scenes dragged on a lot. . .
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #105 
Bombalurina

Which ones? I have to say I wasn't analysing it from a cinematography point of view - I was just enjoying the action, the one-liners and Loki's voice. :p
Old 05-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #106 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Which ones? I have to say I wasn't analysing it from a cinematography point of view - I was just enjoying the action, the one-liners and Loki's voice. :p
When they were in Manhattan fighting the aliens. That one stuck out at me as long. It was funny and I thought the special effects were awesome! :D

For some reason I prefer the movies that leave you feeling bad over the feel-good ones. I loved Babel and Syriana. :$
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:56 AM   #107 
Bombalurina

I haven't seen/heard of those two. I do like a movie with a heart-rending feeling at the end. Phantom of the Opera did that for me. :) I just hate it when the lights go back on and you leave the world of awesome for the world of real. The world of real is not so fun. :p Then again, the world of awesome really must suck for 'extras'. There you are, walking along, and stuff gets blowed up, then you die. The end. :p

Today I got up feeling fine, washed my hair, read a book, cleaned the older boys out...then suddenly, dashing to the toilet, stomach pains, cramps, aches, dizziness. All kinds of fun. Not happy. No uni today, which means I also missed my class reps meeting, and I've had to pull out of work.

Yesterday I was looking for a new gravel siphon but I cannot find one small enough. I bought 3 more ember tetras instead. They look so pale and colourless in the shop, but within a week of being in my tank I know they will be bright orange with very black markings. :)

My mum has hinted that I may be able to keep boy-fish, but I can't get my hopes up because I simply can't see it happening. There is nowhere I can put the tank. (I'm not allowed to have him on my desk). I'm thinking if I do keep him, I'll try and NPT so I only need the plugs for the light and the heater.

I wish I had a fish room. I really want to breed betta splendens, but I'd also love to do betta imbellis and try some killis. Endlers and tetras could be fun too. :D I wouldn't mind trying my hand at ram cichlids or cories, either.

I engaged a local photographer trying to get her business off the ground to take some pictures of my boys! We are going to have a sitting for them after my exams. I'm so excited. :D Professional pictures of my babies. :D Her business is Kaptured by Kylee, if anyone is interested. :)
Old 05-26-2012, 02:28 AM   #108 
Bombalurina

I sat in the front of the car whilst my sister drove today. She's come a long way. I reckon she'll get her license soon. :)

Went to the charity shop and got 5 towels for the boys' cage because Hyde has chewed most of mine to the point where they resemble swiss cheese. I also went to the petshop and got a new food dish for them (with cats on it, no less), because their current one is deep and thin - not great when 3 hungry rats are crowding around it. I also got some rabbit chews. I'll be donating them to the RSPCA along with my biggest rat igloo, since my boys aren't interested in it. They prefer squishing into boxes that barely hold them.

Richelieu, lying on his back in my hands with an almond in his mouth, glaring up at me for the indignity, is the most hilarious sight on the planet.

I'm going out tonight with a girlfriend to see another girlfriend perform in "How to succeed in business without really trying." I'm exhausted and feel pretty sick, but it should be a good night regardless.

I cleaned my fish yesterday and trimmed back some of the hornwort in the big tank. It's wierd, being able to see all my fish again! It actually looks pretty good, because my java fern has gone wild and hides my filters really well. I'll have to get some new pictures. I still need to photograph Demeter and boy-fish!

I can't wait to get my ratty photos from Kylee. :D I shall post them on here. She's a rat lover too, apparently, and wants some pictures of me with them. I've seen her photography and I reckon these will be excellent. You never know, maybe this is the start of my long-awaited career as a model.

I think I shall marry Tom Hiddleston. I was watching a clip from Miss Austen Regrets and mmmm, his voice. Delicious.

Anyway, time to go and clean the top half of the rat cage. The bottom half is lovely and clean now.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:38 AM   #109 
Bombalurina

Well, I keep hearing things about it, so I want to write my opinion on gay marriage. I hope I don't offend anyone, but I believe everybody has a right to an opinion on it.

Two facts I want to establish from the start. Firstly, I am a Christian, and yes, I do believe homosexuality is wrong. Secondly, I am not a homophobe or a hater. I have homosexual friends and would never preach at them, mock or criticise their life choice, or discriminate against them in any other way. I am perfectly capable of seperating them from their homosexuality, because I will always define people by their personalities, not their sexuality. I think that is something everybody, from gay marriage advocates to gay marriage protestors, needs to remember. People's indentities are not (or should not be) tied up in their sexual choices. I don't approve of sex before marriage, either, but you'd never find me making my friendship choices based on that. To me, homosexuality is no worse a sin than sex before marriage, getting angry at someone, being selfish, anything like that. I think anti-gay groups massively overdramatise the issue.

It may come as a surprise, then, that I'm not opposed to gay marriage. I'm not going to run out into the street and support it, because it's legalising something I don't approve of, but I'm not going to join any protests either.
People who claim that it will destroy the institution of marriage: I beg you to look around you. Kim Kardashian. Britney Spears. The divorce rate. Marriage as a scared institution has been thrown into the mud and trampled on. A loving union between two people of the same gender is not going to make it worse.
Governments who oppose it: you advocate equality in all other areas. I don't think you can rightfully deny them in this.

However, I do think it is a slippery slope. If you agree to the union of two consenting adults in a loving match regardless of gender, why not regardless of number? Polygamy is on the rise in Western society, and polygamous families are consenting individuals in a love match. Why not incest? Two sterile cousins, for instance, aren't going to produce any children, so the bloodlines aren't an issue. Two gays cousins even less so, or even gay siblings. I don't think you can use "it's just wrong" as an argument here without also opening that up as an argument against gay marriage.
Comparisons of homosexuality to pedophilia and beastiality are, of course, nonsense. That's not a consenting or a loving match.

I will also object to homosexual marriage where it infringes on other people's rights. Please don't force a Muslim Inam or a Christian priest to marry a gay couple if it is against their beliefs. That's granting one right at the expense of another. Don't hate people who politely, calmly object to gay marriage without hating gay people. That's crushing freedom of speech and stifling opinion.

Finally, I do not think this is comparable to apartheid. Homosexuals have (legally) all the same job opportunities and protections, rights, transport, homes, etc, as straight people. Whilst their treatment in the past has been barbaric, and I hate anyone who bullies or drives someone to suicide over anything, it is not the same widespread oppression. It's also a different matter, to me. Skin colour is a matter of race, which, like gender, is a physical attribute. Sexuality is not.
That being said, I want to reiterate that any kind of discrimination is wrong and I would never support it.

So, that's my opinion. A qualified yes in favour of gay marriage, as long as it isn't oppressive.
Mods, if you feel any of this content is not family friendly, please feel free to edit. :)

Onto my actual journal, now I've got that off my chest:
Last night I went over to a girlfriend's house for dinner and post break-up gossip. Well, not gossip, but comfort. She plays her role in that (offering me chocolate, hugs and agreeing with me completely) very well. We had an amazing dinner - salmon quiche, roast sweet potato, boiled potata and salad with avocado and mushroom, which I can never have at home because my sister hates them.

My rats are looking extremely cute right now. Search Kaptured by Kylee on facebook and have a look at her rat photo. Mine will be that cute! :D
Old 05-28-2012, 01:31 AM   #110 
Bombalurina

Yum, cashews. Possibly my favourite nut. And when they aren't roasted and salted, they are healthy. :D

So many things to do in the holidays! Here's a list of things I want to do:
- draw all of my bettas as merpeople
- scrapbook all my rats
- paints some landscapes
- draw some animals
- buy a new counted cross-stitch kit
- write some more of my Dracula script
- possibly turn my 16 gallon into an NPT
- write some of my story
- watch Iron Man 1&2, The Incredible Hulk and Captain America
- play Medieval Total War II
- make a medieval kingdom on Sims 2 (easier than on Sims 3!)
- bath those rats that need it
- maybe re-arrange the rat cage
- throw a birthday party for my boys
- practice lots of guitar
- apply for a job in a local legal office (?)
- go on an op-shop clothing crawl
- buy my sister's birthday presents
- tidy my desk and bedroom

That's enough to be going on with, I think.