Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #111 
CaseyA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Lol it's confusing.. His "first" owners were the abusive home. the people who had him last, had him for a short time and only to remove him from that abusive home and provide him with safety. But, they had a male dog who didn't like him, one lady had a kid, and they no longer had the time for him.

Well, the thing is when I live with someone they need to be on the right track. When he keeps questioning me, the dog gets nowhere. Especially when whatsherface and knowitall pipe up and he'll believe them over me.

If the lady who had him last doesn't reply, I will find him a new home and I will be 100% choosy, want to meet the people, and would prefer someone older and possibly has a PROPERLY fenced house...
If he's getting unhealthy human food (sweets, processed junk, etc.) he could be having reactions to that as well as his abuse issues. Diet is a HUGE thing for dogs and their diets really should match their age, activity level, etc. Think of it like giving five pounds of candy to a child with hyperactivity--same principle.

I'd ask for a thyroid panel during your next vet visit just to make sure his problems aren't exacerbated by hypo- or hyperthyroidism (sounds more hyper than hypo if thyroid is involved.)

Far be it from me to give Dear Abby advice to a stranger but if you're having these kinds of problems with your boyfriend and his family now over a dog, please think long and hard before marrying and/or bringing a child into it. Marriage and parenthood are hard enough when both of you are on the same page and working for the same goals (17 years experience :D .)

I promise, that's the last unsolicited advice I'll ever give on that subject.
CaseyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #112 
Sena Hansler

Oh heck I don't want kids right now anyways Plus a dog is a child? :p If I had kids, I'd tell his mother off. And she knows it. She's nice and all, but some things I will be aggressive about.

And I will ask about that, when I go to the vet - thanks. I'm guessing he used to eat garbag a LOT, and people food, which explained why he didn't really want dog food. Now he eats it no problem - I get him to sit and stay, put the food down, get him some water, then tell him "okay" and he'll go ahead.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #113 
CaseyA

Instilling good mealtime habits is so important! Both for his mealtimes and yours. I can't stand a dog begging at a dinner table. Mine has been forbidden from even thinking about it since she was 10 weeks old. It was easier teaching her table manners than my kids, come to think of it. . .. ;)

Sounds like you know what needs to happen and only require the humans' cooperation to really help this guy. Grrrrrr. . . .. I'm frustrated on your behalf.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #114 
Sena Hansler

I know right?! We're giving this another month or so, and if everyone cannot shut up or get on the same track, it's not good for the dog and I'll put my foot down on that. His mom: "I think, that this dog is probably going to end up living with me, don't you think?" Kind of a low blow of "you can't handle him!" NO. He won't go to her, that would be worse since the kid is very aggressive to the two cats and the dog they already have.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #115 
CaseyA

I wish I had the magic wand to wave over their heads and turn the lights on. If I find it, I'll happily send it to you after I use it on a couple of people in my vicinity. . .. ;)
Old 05-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #116 
Sena Hansler

Awesome! xD

Well last night Gurgi went into the kennel by himself. I have a blanket draped over the sides.

I think he "can" (is able to) pace considering the fact I have an open kitchen and living room. there's a wall in the center, with both sides open, and it gives him the ability to pace. I blocekd off one side, then the other, and he didn't know what to do with himself!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #117 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Sorry if this is totally wrong. But if I'm correct, pacing is a release for the dog.. maybe you shouldn't be stopping it, but instead replacing it with something more fun? Like I know you can't play with him 24/7 but there must be SOMETHING he likes to do by himself. :/
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #118 
Sena Hansler

I have no idea. I've been trying to find it... And yes that is what it is. Because I've seen dogs coming from tense, stressful homes doing something such as obsessively licking, chewing, whining, pacing, panting etc because they are trying to release the build up of tension they had lived or grown up around. I've let one dog release his tension, because I corrected him and he flipped out, I just held him calmly, letting his throw himself here and there, bite at my hands, growl, bark, snarl, and basically a full blown explosion of a tantrum! After he laid there, panting. He was pretty awesome afterwards I tell you!!

I dunno how to release this booger's tension :(
Old 05-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #119 
Laki

Maybe a gentle holistic medicine (Rescue Remedy- which you can buy in natural health stores in human grade) might help calm hi down enough for you to teach him a distraction?
Although, last going out, my dog's anxiety was permanent. The only time he was calm was on a walk (and that would get ruined if he heard someone slam a car door or dip into a pothole) and when both me and matt turned off the lights nd went to bed. I hope that Gurgi's brain isn't as messed up with permanent anxiety as my dog was- he's still young.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #120 
Sena Hansler

He's not as bad. Since the kid next door realizes I do see him coming from the front yard to his plaec, he hasn't pestered my dog because I WILL SEE HIM >:( I wanted to be able to get Gurgi accustomed to bikes, so I could go biking with him - which I've done before with my dad's dog, and it's a great way to drain the energy in an energetic dog.

Well, the good thing is he doesn't care if you pet him while eats (I've been encouraging him to eat this way, by saying "good boy" and petting him when he begins eating), or stick your hand in the bowl then he knows he goes outside when he is finished.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 05-24-2012 at 09:05 AM.