Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #1 
thekinetic

Hi I'm confused as heck

Ok so here's the thing I'm setting up a betta tank, 5 gallons. Now I took one look at this and thought mabey the betta could use a pal. Well after much searching and much re-searching the only thing I've gained is a terrific headache.

One site reccomends one fish while another says it's a no no. Now I know it's only 5 gallons but there really must be something I could pair him with.

I thought apple snails would be too big, and I'm unsure about other snails as I've heard they breed like rabbits. Corys like schools as do danios and tetras. Then there are fin nippers. So I'm just confused, exactly what could be paired with a betta and not cause trouble or over crowd the tank?

Thank you, Jon.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #2 
Micho

5 gallons = no other fish friends. 10 gallon and bigger tanks open the doors up for fish friends.

You could do some snails and or shrimps. Apple snails grow too big for my liking, I prefer Nerite snails, they're also great algae eaters if you have any. As for shrimps you could try them, but Bettas like most fish will eat the shrimps at any given chance, but if you give them hiding places, like java moss and some caves, they might survive and thrive.

Hope that helps. :)
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #3 
Spazzfish

You know what the Best thing about nerite snails is?: they need brakush or salt water to reproduce successfuly! Which means no rabbit like over populating!
Spazzfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

If you think you need a tank mate for your betta; don't worry! Male bettas actually prefer being alone! :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #5 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinetic View Post
thought mabey the betta could use a pal.
While there are some exceptions to the rule, most bettas prefer and enjoy solitary confinement.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #6 
thekinetic

Ah crud, what was the freaking point of a 5.5 gallon when I could have gone with a 2.5 for a little cheaper. Well mabey I'll put an invertebrate in there like shrimp or snails, my water is a little hard so it might work out well for a snail.

Would a small colony of shrimp with few living plants be too much for the tank?
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #7 
laoshun

^nope thats usually the route people with 5 gallons take with 1 betta
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #8 
MollyJean

Living plants are fine, and a couple of shrimp are cheap, which is good, because you don't know if the betta will handle them well. But the more plants and hiding places for the shrimp, the better. Some flat rocks proped up so they have maybe a half inch under them for the shrimp to hide works really well, and heavy carpeting plants give them a good place to hide.

And the point of the 5.5 is to make the betta happy. Remember he needs room, too. Betta are often kept in very very tiny tanks, but they suffer for it. It would be like you or I living in a closet. You've given him a nice big apartment to roam around in and I'm sure he would be thankful for it if he could talk.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #9 
Ramble

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinetic View Post
Ah crud, what was the freaking point of a 5.5 gallon when I could have gone with a 2.5 for a little cheaper. Well mabey I'll put an invertebrate in there like shrimp or snails, my water is a little hard so it might work out well for a snail.

Would a small colony of shrimp with few living plants be too much for the tank?
A five gallon gives you lots of room to make an amazing home for your betta. I have a 6.6 gallon tank with driftwood, plants and other toys. I also have some ghost shrimp that occasionally swim out and steal food from Leonidas during morning feeding (they're bold!) and then he chases them back to the driftwood because he's mad. It's very entertaining. I'm still trying to track a nerite snail to add to the mix. Leonidas doesn't like sharing with other fish, so I'm going to get a big tank for my other betta and try a community tank there.
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #10 
lelei

It looks to me that our fishy is growing, and the more room they have to spread thier fins.. the more room they need, so I have to upgrade soon..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote