Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #1 
BlackberryBetta

Not eating/Inflamed Gills

My new betta isnt eating. I got him yesterday. He is taking some interest in the food, but starting at it then drifting away. I have noticed that he has inflamed gills so I added AQ salt and Stress Coat to the water. The temp is about 78-80. I am so worried about him. He is acting sorta sluggish and lethargic but he can get to the top no problem to get air or food (which he isnt eating). Anybody know what is wrong or what I can do? Is he going to be ok?
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #2 
BlackberryBetta

Any answers? Please help my little friend!
Old 09-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Its not uncommon for a new Betta to go off food....sometimes it can take a week or more for them to adjust to the new environment and when you get them already compromised or sick to start it can take even longer.....keep offering him food and remove if he doesn't eat it within 15-20min or so and make daily partial water changes for the first 4-5 days.....

If you want to treat with salt...I would QT him in something small and premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add aquarium salt 2tsp/gal, tannins-either IAL or dried oak leaf-along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days.....

With inflamed gills due to ammonia burns-depending on how bad they are-he may or may not improve....often they will also have scar tissue and the gill plates will always kinda look like they are sticking out....

How did you acclimate him to his new tank...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #4 
BlackberryBetta

He seems to be improving a lot. I mean, he is still breathing heavy a bit and not eating but he is swimming around and exploring more. I am treating the whole 2 gallon with AQ salt and Stress Coat and it so far seems to be working out. If there is no more improvement in the next few days I will take more serious action.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #5 
palaca

My betta fish has the same symptoms and I think she has inflamed gills. If you have any ideas about how I can help her please tell me! She hasn't eaten in about 3 days and I am worried about her! :(
palaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #6 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryBetta View Post
He seems to be improving a lot. I mean, he is still breathing heavy a bit and not eating but he is swimming around and exploring more. I am treating the whole 2 gallon with AQ salt and Stress Coat and it so far seems to be working out. If there is no more improvement in the next few days I will take more serious action.
+1 yay I use that same treatment paired with IAL to cure most everything :D Nice to know I'm not the only one!

Is he still looking better?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote