Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #221 
JennybugJennifer
Member
 
JennybugJennifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Utah
Thanks so much for the advice. He gets pretty active in the night, like 2 am, and I had turned the filter off last night for dinner and forgot to turn it on and I was so scared when I woke up because I couldn't find him but I turned the filter on and poof I have a frog and he's swimming about. It looked like he was trying to eat something he saw.
What's the recommended water change weekly for his 2.5?
When I said move him I wasn't specific enough I'm sorry. I ment move him to the three gallon heated unfiltered and put jaws in the 2.5 gallon. Because I can't have ANYTHING with jaws. He's way too aggressive, I tried him and Frogger together in the beginning and jaws was trying to bite Frogger. And i had an oto ( my mistake listening to idiot petsmart "fish experts") that i tried in there and jaws chased him relentlessly. So I put a snail with him and jaws would go up under the better when he was sleeping or moving and try to bite. But anyways I kinda like my set ups.
Frogger is on my night stand kinda storage thing.
And jaws and pearls tanks are on my DVD dresser thing.
And I've found that they're okay being in sight of one another.
They flare a lot but I've been watching them for any signs of stress and haven't seen any :)
I'll go back to the link you sent me, sometimes I will read something then kind of forget
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by JennybugJennifer; 05-22-2012 at 11:19 AM.
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #222 
JennybugJennifer
Member
 
JennybugJennifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Utah
Okay so these are what I was able to run out and grab for him.
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/...y/e403b447.jpg
And a better picture of him
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/...y/57d97231.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #223 
JennybugJennifer
Member
 
JennybugJennifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Utah
I'm scared now. I did a 100% water change. And it was kinda an emergency because of me and I feel crappy about it. And so I tried my best to get my water the same temp as his old tank.
But in order to put him back in without putting all the nastiness back too I just gripped him VERY gently with my thumb and finger on his tummy and put him in...
I hope he will be ok :( I'm worried now...
Posted via Mobile Device
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #224 
Chesh
Member
 
Chesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
ADFs are nocturnal, so they do become far more active as the lights go out. I like to feed mine in the evening - around 6ish, that way once he eats, I get to enjoy him during his most active time of day - but still before I go to bed :)

Frozen blood-worms are fantastic, and that IS the proper type of floating pellets. Has he eaten any yet? He does still seem a bit scrawny to me in that last photo, the bloodworms should fatten him up pretty quickly, and I hope he takes the pellets for you.

I'm really not sure about water changes on the 2.5, so you'll have to hang on from one of the others who has run a smaller tank with a frog in it. I'd imagine whatever you do for your betta should be good. If it were me, I'd test the tank frequently for a week or two - once you get an idea of how the water looks, you should be able to easily figure out how much needs to be changed out.

As for moving him. . . I'm not entirely clear on why you want to? But my advice is still to just let him settle in and fatten up before causing him any more stress unless you feel it's absolutley necessary for his health.

Hope all goes well!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #225 
Chesh
Member
 
Chesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennybugJennifer View Post
I'm scared now. I did a 100% water change. And it was kinda an emergency because of me and I feel crappy about it. And so I tried my best to get my water the same temp as his old tank.
But in order to put him back in without putting all the nastiness back too I just gripped him VERY gently with my thumb and finger on his tummy and put him in...
I hope he will be ok :( I'm worried now...
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry, just saw this one pop up. . . I guess you decided to change tanks anyway? I've never actually moved my frog before (though he does eat from my hand and sit in my palm UNDERwater) As long as you were really gentle, I'm sure he'll be okay :) Keep us posted.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #226 
JennybugJennifer
Member
 
JennybugJennifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
ADFs are nocturnal, so they do become far more active as the lights go out. I like to feed mine in the evening - around 6ish, that way once he eats, I get to enjoy him during his most active time of day - but still before I go to bed :)

Frozen blood-worms are fantastic, and that IS the proper type of floating pellets. Has he eaten any yet? He does still seem a bit scrawny to me in that last photo, the bloodworms should fatten him up pretty quickly, and I hope he takes the pellets for you.

I'm really not sure about water changes on the 2.5, so you'll have to hang on from one of the others who has run a smaller tank with a frog in it. I'd imagine whatever you do for your betta should be good. If it were me, I'd test the tank frequently for a week or two - once you get an idea of how the water looks, you should be able to easily figure out how much needs to be changed out.

As for moving him. . . I'm not entirely clear on why you want to? But my advice is still to just let him settle in and fatten up before causing him any more stress unless you feel it's absolutley necessary for his health.

Hope all goes well!
I was thinking of moving him because the tank jaws is in is 3 gallons which is a tad more than he has now...
Since I did his water change he has totally perked up and I saw him eat a little of the repto blood worm gel food I offered but not the pellets
Posted via Mobile Device
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #227 
JennybugJennifer
Member
 
JennybugJennifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
Sorry, just saw this one pop up. . . I guess you decided to change tanks anyway? I've never actually moved my frog before (though he does eat from my hand and sit in my palm UNDERwater) As long as you were really gentle, I'm sure he'll be okay :) Keep us posted.
No no I just put him in a bowl I use that has treated water in it that I ALWAYS have on hand so that I could fully clean his tank but I slipped the filter canister in there too so it nasties up the water and I didn't want all that poured back in his beautifully cleaned tank. I fixed the grass plant thing and then added some plant fertilizer and the stuff to make the water safe.
He has actually kinda perked up. When I grabbed him I was so soft and gentle that he almost could have jumped and succefully gotten away(which he tried but he was already over his tank thank god) but I saw him take a little bit of gel blood worms. I can't tell how much he ate but the majority of it is gone :)
I got the pellets and he didn't eat them. I also got a frozen block of bloodworms. I turned his light off and stuff to kinda give him a destress period
And this is his tank now
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o542/iTwistedSerenity/ce3d8626.jpg
Also I decided to just keep one little froggy and my two Betta boys. I'm a bit overwhelmed as it is
But in a few days I'm gunna run over an buy three hornwort plants(one for each of my boys)
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by JennybugJennifer; 05-22-2012 at 06:05 PM.
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #228 
Chesh
Member
 
Chesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
I'm so glad he's eating!!! It sounds like your frog may be like mine and just not recognize the pellets as food. It does tend to be tougher on gravel, as they fall in the cracks. . . If you can't get him to take the pellets, you might want to consider getting another type or two of frozen food for him. LOTS of people feed bloodworm daily with NO PROBLEMS, but I've also read that it has been linked to bloat when fed exclusively. Totally your decision to make, of course, just wanted to point out what I've read and heard from others. Either way, be sure to WATCH him while he eats. It is really important that you make sure he's getting enough - and not too much! The frog's belly is slightly to the left side. You will be able to see it round out when he has had enough to eat if you pay attention.

Good call on offing the lights, leave them low for a day or so to let him settle in. He'll like it, especially since he's noctournal, and there isn't very much for him to hide in. The pineapple he loves, I bet. . . my frog has a 'house,' too - he loves it!

Hornwort is an EXCELLENT idea. It can be a messy plant, but it's one of the best at soaking up toxins in the tank. In a small tank, this can be a lifesaving plant! Plus. . .your frog will DEFINITELY love it, and will feel much more comfortable with the extra shade/security of more plants. It grows very quickly, so you'll have plenty to share among tanks before long!

I agree that you should wait on frog #2. You're overwhelmed right now because you're learning about an entirely new and different species - AFTER bringing it home! I've been there - just a few months ago - it isn't fun, but I think you're on the right track. Get your frog settled, eating properly, and comfortable with maintaining his tank. . . once you are comfortable with frog and what he needs to thrive. . .you just might change your mind and be wanting a bigger tank and a buddy ;)

For now - good luck, keep us posted!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #229 
JennybugJennifer
Member
 
JennybugJennifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Utah
Is there a plant of equal abilitys?
I can't find ONE store that had any :[
Posted via Mobile Device
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #230 
JennybugJennifer
Member
 
JennybugJennifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Utah
YAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I saw him eat dinner just now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is how I fed:
Frozen defrosted bloodworms like this

WOOOOOO!!! (I've never actually SEEN him eat)
I'm going to try and "train" him that dinner is in the cup.
Makes it easy for him to get and not float away and easy to clean up the excess
Should I take it out and empty the food and give it back or just use for dinner?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by JennybugJennifer; 05-22-2012 at 10:34 PM.
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Care guide from a cup... Myates Betta Fish Care 2 09-24-2011 06:30 PM
Transition from bad care to proper care mellalune Betta Fish Care 3 11-01-2010 10:56 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.