Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #11 
Pearl2011

Went to the pet store and I like the look of Chinese hi fin shark (too big), blood parrot (too big), piranhas (like my mom would say yes) and a bala shark (too aggressive), and discus (no need to explain).

I got some duckweed while I was there (and it was free :)), the flying fox and tinfoil barb and bumblebee goby looked cool. Anybody have any experience with these?
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #12 
MaisyDawgThirteen

You may want to look at more peaceful community fish. Barbs are little terrors. lol
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #13 
Pearl2011

What would be a good fish to breed/spawn to make money off of? And compatible with bettas?
Old 05-22-2012, 11:39 PM   #14 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl2011 View Post
Went to the pet store and I like the look of Chinese hi fin shark (too big), blood parrot (too big), piranhas (like my mom would say yes) and a bala shark (too aggressive), and discus (no need to explain).

I got some duckweed while I was there (and it was free :)), the flying fox and tinfoil barb and bumblebee goby looked cool. Anybody have any experience with these?
The flying fox and tinfoil barb get waaaay to large for your tank. Find more info here Flying Fox (Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus) Profile and Tinfoil Barb (Barbonymus schwanenfeldii ) Profile There are many different species of bumblebee goby (Brachygobius spp), so we will need a bit more information about the species at the store to know if it is suitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl2011 View Post
What would be a good fish to breed/spawn to make money off of? And compatible with bettas?
Breeding fish for money on the hobby level is almost impossible. Fish stores won't take fish until they are a certain size. This means that you have to grow them out which takes a lot of tanks and time. Basically, you will never get the money that you would put into the setups back. Hobby breeders breed because they enjoy it, not to make a profit. Just stick to keeping fish for a while before you begin to breed them.

For your tank, you should be looking at small schooling tetra, danio, guppies, and rasbora. Until we know your exact hardness any stocking suggestions will just be shooting in the dark as pH isn't a reliable indicator of hardness.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #15 
Pearl2011

I thought those were the piranhas . . . guess I was looking at the wrong fish. lol
I think I probably going to go with a planted tank, a BN pleco OR kuhlis, and some type of tetra.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #16 
Micho

I would recommend Rummynose Tetras, they're really cute and a stunner species of Tetras, they also shoal better than the average Neon Tetra, so maybe about fifteen of them would work. As for the Kuhli Loaches maybe six of them, I would up the numbers but I think that's a bit overdoing it, 15 Rummynose Tetras and 6 Kuhli Loaches is probably pushing it since you can't upgrade your filter. I would suggest what Olympia said to do, by just cutting the aquarium sponge in half, removing the activated carbon and just shove as much biological filtration you can in there.

I wouldn't do a Bristlenose Pleco, they poop lots and I don't like them in general. But before you go buying your fish we still need to know what your water hardness is, your pH is 7 which will be able to house both Kuhli Loaches and Tetras, but they both need soft water. So find out before buying fish!
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #17 
Twilight Storm

You would have to research these guys more but i've seen my petstore carry them from time to time. They wouldn't get along with bettas... and i'm not sure how many inches a 25 gallon is... (I basically wanted to share one of my favorite looking cichlids)

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/p...dwarf-cichlid/

I tend to think everyone is on the right track though with going with what your local pet store has unless you are determined to own a particular kind of fish. Oh, and plan on cycling your tank for about a month or so before you put anything in the tank, so you will have PLENTY of time to keep changing your mind, and plenty of time to research! :D

(Tropical fish keeping is the parent forum to bettafish.com. I am not sure what site you logged into, but your password works on both sites)

BTW Welcome to the forum ;)
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #18 
thekoimaiden

Rummynose tetra really only do well in very soft water. While they do school nicely, they are more sensitive than your average tetra. I would recommend glowlight tetra or bloodfin tetra as better alternatives. They are much more hardy and adaptable. Kuhlis are a great beginner fish as they are hardy and entertaining, but you need a sand substrate for them. However, sand isn't as bad as it seems.

But we still need to know your water parameters. Both tetra and kuhli loaches are softwater fish and won't do well with hardness above 10 dGH.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #19 
Pearl2011

Hardness is 75 (according to an official website) and I'm am going to add live plants to help with filtration. Rummynose are beautiful. My freind has one (she has never had good luck with them) that I could try to convince her to give me . . . Time to practice puppy dog face lol
But I'll go research them
Old 05-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #20 
Pearl2011

Thats moderately hard, right?

Tags
25 gallon, betta tank mates