Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #1 
bettafishlover5346

What other fish can coexist with a betta in a 10 gallon tank?

I was just wondering if there are any other fish that you could put in a 10 gallon tank with a betta. There seems to not be much other fish, because the other fish can't be aggressive, they can't fin nip, they can't be a gourami, and they can't get big because, well, it is a 10 gallon tank!
bettafishlover5346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #2 
MollyJean

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=97337

This is a good list!
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Except I would avoid barbs, and unless you have a large tank and a mellow betta NO guppies, or long finned danios. :/
And you are right on NO gouramis. Bettas ARE gouramis, and will not last with a cousin. Same with cichlids. I've had a betta with a bad outcome from them.

I'd say 4 tetra, and a betta. I wouldn't max out the tank with 6 of a certain fish with the betta because it could cause a lot more problems. I wouldn't go with danios, or neon tetras because they are active :) Shrimp and snails are generally ok but may get nommed on
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

I cause more problems not having enough tetras - in small groups, they are more stressed, thus more nippy. Better to overstock slightly than have too small a school. :)

What you can stock with depends on your water parameters - pH and hardness. For instance, in hard water, livebearers are better, but in soft water, you want something like tetras. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote