Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Molly or betta?

So I have been planning on getting a 20 gallon tank, and have also been planning on putting a betta sorority in it.....but now I am getting increasingly interested in just getting a molly instead.....What should I do???
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

Do more research. Mollys really do best in larger tanks. They can get around 6 inches long and do best in 30+ gallon tanks. Plus. They will always be reproducing. I would just go with female bettas in a 20 gal tank.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Do more research. Mollys really do best in larger tanks. They can get around 6 inches long and do best in 30+ gallon tanks. Plus. They will always be reproducing. I would just go with female bettas in a 20 gal tank.
Well the reproducing thing wouldn't be a problem because I only want one....I'm thinking since they get so big I would have to get a 20gal long....if I get the bigger kind..... I don't know how much more research I can do....It's just a matter of deciding...I just want opinions of what people like better.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and not to be mean or anything, but it really upsets me when people tell me to do more research. I am a research FIEND and I look up everything for hours lol :)
Old 05-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #4 
copperarabian

I thought only the sail fin mollys get to be that large.

I've always found mollys to be a little bland in character, they all seem the same to me lol
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:58 PM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
I thought only the sail fin mollys get to be that large.

I've always found mollys to be a little bland in character, they all seem the same to me lol
Yeah I'm pretty sure the sail fins only get that big.

Are they boring though? Are they not spunky and cute like bettas?
Old 05-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #6 
LionCalie

They have personality in their own way. I've been temped by them plenty of times, but they prefer brackish water and I wanted other species that are not. I went with Platies instead for my 20 gal long tropical community tank.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:26 AM   #7 
xShainax

OMG, I saw the biggest molly a few months ago. I swear it was at least 6"long
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:59 AM   #8 
Sheldon31

After rescuing Sid the molly a few weeks ago I really will never have mollies on my own. Sid goes to his new home on friday and I'll be glad when he's gone. He constantly poos leaving tons of strings of poop everywhere which I feel like I'm constantly cleaning up. He's aggressive towards EVERYTHING! My plants are destroyed and to be honest, he's not as enjoyable to watch as my other fish. I think you have to be a molly person to appreciate them. But I am glad I rescued him because he's been in nice clean water and didn't meet the sticky end he would have even if we havn't seen eye to eye.

Oppinion on what you should go for? Betta sorority. :)
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:47 AM   #9 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon31 View Post
After rescuing Sid the molly a few weeks ago I really will never have mollies on my own. Sid goes to his new home on friday and I'll be glad when he's gone. He constantly poos leaving tons of strings of poop everywhere which I feel like I'm constantly cleaning up. He's aggressive towards EVERYTHING! My plants are destroyed and to be honest, he's not as enjoyable to watch as my other fish. I think you have to be a molly person to appreciate them. But I am glad I rescued him because he's been in nice clean water and didn't meet the sticky end he would have even if we havn't seen eye to eye.

Oppinion on what you should go for? Betta sorority. :)
I had one male for a month, he constantly tried to mate with my male two spot blue gourami and the poor gourami was traumatized and hid in the constantly. Now 4 months later, and 3 months after giving the molly to a friend my gourami is mentally recovered.

Quote:
finnfinnfriend
Are they boring though? Are they not spunky and cute like bettas?
I think they are a little boring with little character, but people who are fans of the molly and have had them longer will probably be able to tell you more about their character
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:02 AM   #10 
Pataflafla

My sister and I have had bother male and female mollies (and 30 baby mollies born the first night). The males tend to be overly aggressive. One of our males harassed the betta we had in with him so much the betta ended up shredding his fins. This same molly (Through better judgement from my sister this would never have occurred) was also beaten up by an angel as well as a freshwater aquarium shark (This kind: http://www.thatpetplace.com/freshwater-sharks-article).

Mollies are very hardy, but they're incredibly messy and destroy live plants quickly. I find they don't really have too much personality at all, and this is even with the mollies that I have raised from birth. Keeping both genders together, the male constantly harasses and bullies the females into mating, which can be annoying to watch happen as well.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote