Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2008, 09:56 PM   #1 
Evnas

10 gallon tank, 1 betta, and Penguin 100

A betta wasnt originally in my plans for the tank, but after spending time at my LFS I just fell in love with em. I decided to pick one up (a crown tail) and he is currently the only fish in the tank.

I've read bettas dont particularly like high current in the water, and though it doesnt look like the Penguin 100 filter is creating a high current, I'm new to fish keeping and dont know what "high" is for the fish. So my question is, do you guys think a Penguin 100 (100gph) is too much filter (and thus current) for a 10 gallon tank with a betta, and if it is what are some ways I can reduce the current?

On a side note, I do plan on also putting other fish in the tank as well once it seems to be more stable environmentally. Maybe something like 4 - 5 Corys or Tetras
Evnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:31 PM   #2 
MattD

I have a filter that filters 510 gph on my 10 gallon tank (AC110). The current isn't bad, I can tell because the food doesn't fly around too much, and my plants don't sway violently.

I think you will be fine as long as the fish doesn't appear to be in stress, believe me you will know when it's struggling.

How long has the setup been like this? Is he eating the food you feed him? If it hasn't dropped to the substrate from exhaustion, I'd say it is probably all right.
MattD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:16 AM   #3 
Evnas

I just bought the fish yesterday (monday), and I fed him for the first time tonight after work and he seemed to take the food very well and has become much more lively. Before, he stuck to the side of the tank farthest from the filter as he could be, which was why I was worried. He now seems to be roaming all of the tank. I'll keep an eye on him as much as I can to make sure his "peppier" attitude keeps up and to make sure he takes well to his new home.
Evnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:17 AM   #4 
MattD

Good to hear that, keep up the good work.
MattD is offline   Reply With Quote